39

Visiting her father was rather exhausting. He'd decided to try a muggle treatment without discussing it with the family and ended up setting his healing back days. Alexandra stayed in the room as her mother yelled out her worry and chimed in occasionally. She'd also held back the biscuit that they'd baked for him, taking bites as she watched her father being chastised.

"Alexandra, dear. Give me a biscuit, would you?" He eventually asked. She looked at the plastic container in her arms. She looked up at him.

"Are you even allowed to have anything? Have the healers given you any other potions for your idea to pierce needles into your skin for a magic affliction?"

"Well, yes. But they've said nothing about not eating."

"Have you had breakfast yet?"

"Of course I have. And I'm not a child, Alexandra." He frowned. She grinned.

"Just making sure. Do you promise not to try out any alternative treatments without at least discussing it with your family?"

"I'm supposed to be the parent." He protested. She grabbed another biscuit and took a bite. "Oh, all right." He sighed. "I promise." She handed over the plastic container. "I'm going to go find the psych floors."

"What on earth for?"

"I think I'm going to see if I can start appointments with Miss Shay again."

"Stay away from the cursed insanity ward. Perhaps I should come with you."

"It's okay, mum. I can find my way. I just want to check it out."

"Be back in a half hour."

"You didn't say that to anyone else." She protested.

"Nobody else is going out on their own. Half an hour." Her mother said. She huffed but nodded and set out. She looked at the board beside the lift and saw there was a mind and soul healing ward and a psych ward. Guessing the psych ward was for severe disorders such as insanity hexes and such, she went on the lift and headed to the other ward. She got off on the ninth floor and realised she'd had no idea where to start.

It was lucky that she'd chosen that moment to go, though. She might have gotten lost if she hadn't heard someone call her name. She looked back and saw a woman.
"Alex! Hi." She greeted brightly. Alexandra didn't respond, not wanting to jump to conclusions. This was probably Shay, but just in case, she'd better not say a thing. "I know it's been over a year but I think it might be a personal offence when the girl who can't forget anything forgets you. It's Shay? Shay Young?"

"I have amnesia." She replied and Shay's eyes widened. She looked at her wrist to check the time.

"I don't have any appointments for two hours so if you want, you can come in to my office." Alexandra hesitated. "I'm guessing you're up here for a reason."

"I have to go back down in twenty minutes."

"That's okay. You can stay as long or as short as you'd like." Shay said. She nodded and followed the mind healer to an office.

The room was familiar, but there were no feelings attached to it. She could see herself sitting on a couch with a blue glass ball in her hand. It turned red after a moment and then blue. "Truth ball." She remembered.

"Yes, my own personal device."

"We used to talk. I don't remember what about."

"Mostly your dreams for the future. About your boyfriend, about how you're finding classes. I think you ended the sessions before we managed to delve into the past."