12

Saphira was brought to the forest and Alex situated her in the clearing that had been the dragon's camp the year before. She was taken back home only to go back to Hogwarts on the train, which was really excessive, but the entire journey to and from Romania and to and from Hogwarts pretty much amounted to the time that was left until school started.

"Be careful, Alex dear, won't you?" Her mother begged and Alex nodded.

"I will, I promise." She said solemnly. Molly kissed her forehead and pulled her in for a deep hug before moving along to Ginny. Hermione was with Tonks saying goodbye, the metamorphmagus giving her a hug. She turned to Alex hopefully, but Alex stepped back shaking her head. Tonks held out a hand instead, and Alex shook it. She avoided Lupin and Sirius, who was disguised in his animagus form, like the plague and said her goodbyes to her father. She was still pretty hesitant about Moody. He was too paranoid so she'd never really tried to get to know him.

Once they got on the train, the twins disappeared after Lee, and Ron and Hermione went to go to the prefects compartment. Alex, Ginny and Harry were left standing awkwardly together.

Alex walked ahead to find herself a compartment. Most were full and she didn't think sitting with her Slytherin friends was really appropriate. She edged past Neville and sat in a compartment with Luna.
"Hey loony." She greeted. "I've got something for you."

"Did you find your strength?" Luna asked, as Alex gave her back her necklace.

"I'm not sure. But I have reminders every day." Luna smiled, and reached to clasp it back on. It settled nicely next to her necklace of butterbeer corks. "What are you reading?"

"The Quibbler. My father's the editor."

"It's upside down."

"I find it more encouraging that way. Anyone can read a book upright."

"Hi Luna, hey Alex. Is it alright if we take these seats?" Ginny asked. Alex shrugged and Luna nodded. "Thanks. So did you have a good summer, Luna?"

"Yes," Luna said, staring at Harry. "Yes, it was quite enjoyable, you know. Though sad too, with Cedric gone." Ginny's eyes flicked to Alex, but Luna continued on. "You're Harry Potter."

"I know I am." He said and her eyes trailed to Neville.

"And I don't know who you are." She looked at Neville curiously.

"I'm nobody." He denied.

"No you're not," Ginny said sharply. "Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood. Luna's in my year, but in Ravenclaw."

"Yeah, I know. She's one of the explorers."

"Oh, Alex!" Luna said suddenly and opened her bag to get out a book. "Look, I found it."

"Found what?" Alex took the book. Her eyes widened as she noticed the cover. "You're kidding. I didn't think it existed. How did you find it?"

"I had a dream. I think it was a story my mum used to tell me." Luna said. "I hope it helps."

"Loony, never change." Alex said. "You're wonderful!"

"Loony?" Harry asked.

"Don't get all righteous, Potter. It's a nickname."

"It's a little rude."

"Luna, do you feel like I make fun of you when I call you a total loon?"

"Hmm." She thought for a moment before shaking her head. "We're friends. We all make fun of each other in a very lighthearted manner. I call you daft all the time."

"You've never called me daft."

"Oh. I do it in my head, then." Alex cracked a smile.

"What's the book?" Ginny asked, changing the subject.

"It's about the circlet of doom."

"Of infinity." Luna corrected with a giggle.

"I think it deserves a renaming to doom, considering what foul end befalls those who touch it." Alex shuddered. "It's a circlet made by Morgan la Fey. I'm not sure exactly what it does, but I came across mentions of it in my studies."

"And you wonder why the twins call you terrifying." Alex raised a brow, so Ginny elaborated. "You're reading up on a circlet of doom for fun."

"Well, it's not exactly for fun." Alex said. "I just have a vested interest. My old book gave me half answers."

"Guess what I got for my birthday?" Neville said after a brief pause.

"Another Remembrall?" Harry asked.

"No, I could do with one, though, I lost the old one ages ago. No, look at this." He dug the hand that was not keeping a firm grip on his toad into his schoolbag and after a little bit of rummaging pulled out a spiky plant. Ginny and Harry looked confused but Alex sat forward.

"Is that-?"

"Mimbulus mimbletonia." He said.

"That's pretty cool." She admitted.

"An explanation for us non-nerds?" Ginny asked.

"It's really, really rare," Neville explained, beaming. "I don't know if there's one in the greenhouse at Hogwarts, even."

"There isn't." Alex agreed.

"I can't wait to show it to Professor Sprout. My Great Uncle Algie got it for me in Assyria. I'm going to see if I can breed from it."

"Does it, er, do anything?" Harry asked.

"Loads of stuff! It's got an amazing defensive mechanism. Here, hold Trevor for me." He shoved the toad at Harry to take out a quill. He prodded the plant, and Alex covered her face and twisted slightly before the sap could reach her. "So sorry," Neville gasped. "I haven't tried that before. Didn't realise it would be quite so... Don't worry, though, Stinksap's not poisonous," he added nervously, as Harry spat a mouthful on to the floor.

At that precise moment the door of their compartment slid open.
"Oh. hello, Harry," said a familiar voice. "Um, bad time?" Alex glared up at the Ravenclaw at the door.

"Oh... hi." Harry blinked up at her.

"Um..." Cho sounded uncertain. 'Well, just thought I'd say hello. Bye then."

"Bitch." Alex bit out once she left.

"She's not a b-" Harry stopped himself before using the word.

"When she tries to hex you and send you to the hospital wing for a chance to steal your boyfriend, you can tell me she's not a bitch."

"Cho wouldn't do that." He said and Alex rolled her eyes.

"Ask Hermione. She saw it too."

"Or she'll just go along with what you say."

"Harry!" Ginny said, a little angrily.

"For your information, Potter, Hermione doesn't have blind faith in me. If I do something wrong, she will stand up to me. You could give her the credit she deserves." Alex stood. "I'm going to find someplace else."

A/N- favourite lines are "You've never called me daft." "Oh. I do it in my head, then."

Love Luna and Alex's friendship, they're way too cute. They just vibe, honestly.