59

They regrouped at the end of the corridor to Umbridge's office.

"Got it," Harry panted. "Ready to go, then?"

"All right," Hermione whispered as a gang of loud sixth-years passed them. "So Ron, you go and head Umbridge off. Ginny, Luna, if you can start moving people out of the corridor. Alex, if the inquisitorial squad gets here, stall as long as you can. Harry and I will get the Cloak on and wait until the coast is clear."

They each headed off to their respective tasks, Alex helping Ginny and Luna herd away the students that wanted to go through the corridor.

It didn't take long for Draco to show up.

"Hi." Alex greeted, perkily.

"You're up to something." He said, suspiciously.

"Possibly."

"Alex-"

"Where's Pansy?" Alex asked. "I haven't seen much of her lately."

"She's been spending almost all her time studying." He shook his head. "Not the point. What are you doing here in Umbridge's corridor?"

"Depends. Are you asking as my friend, or as head of the brown-nosing club?" He glared. "I'm sorry, you make it too easy."

"Keep it up and I won't be your friend."

"Oh please, you'd be my friend even if you didn't like me. Because your dad wants you to be. I just happen to like you too and want you as my friend."

"You're infuriating."

"Thanks." She grinned. "Seriously, though. Pansy's great with hair. Ask her to give you a haircut."

"She likes the long hair, actually."

"It makes you look evil."

"Kind of the point."

"Malfoy." Millicent Bulstrode said impatiently. "She's distracting you. She's up to something."

"You got me. I am here ambushing you all so that I can... wait, give me a second to think of something."

"Out of the way!" She heard Umbridge yell.

"Uh oh." Alex turned and ducked into the office. "Umbridge on the way." She warned but it was too late.

They'd all ended up caught, their wands confiscated.
"If Bulstrode doesn't quit choking Hermione, she's going to be the one choking in a few minutes." Alex muttered. Noticing the genuinely murderous glare on her face, Draco was quick to intervene.

"Bulstrode, lay off before you kill her and have to face an inquiry at the ministry. Too much work." He said and she reluctantly let go, though kept a firm grip on Hermione's arm.

"Crabbe too." She said. "Neville's going purple." Draco gave her an exasperated look before hissing back at his minion friend. Crabbe loosened his grip slightly and Neville took gasping breaths, still struggling.

"Got 'em all," Warrington shoved her brother roughly into the room. "That one," he poked a thick finger at Neville, "tried to stop me taking her," he pointed at Ginny, who was trying to kick the shins of Nott. Alex grinned proudly as she saw him wince from one of her blows, "so I brought him along too."

"Good, good," Umbridge trilled. "Well, it looks as though Hogwarts will shortly be a Weasley-free zone, doesn't it?"

Draco laughed and Alex sent him a look.
"You don't count." He said. "I'll vouch for you."

"No, you will not." Alex hissed back. "And you don't have to hold me so tightly, you know."

"So, Potter," Umbridge said. "You stationed lookouts around my office and you sent this buffoon," she nodded at Ron- Draco laughed even louder and Alex furiously stepped on his foot- "to tell me the poltergeist was wreaking havoc in the Transfiguration department when I knew perfectly well that he was busy smearing ink on the eyepieces of all the school telescopes, Mr. Filch having just informed me so." Umbridge said in a high voice. "Clearly, it was very important for you to talk to somebody. Was it Albus Dumbledore? Or the half-breed, Hagrid? I doubt it was Minerva McGonagall, I hear she is still too ill to talk to anyone."