Chapter 9

"W-What?"

"I'm proposing."

"I can see that." she chuckled nervously. Her left hand was held tightly by Todoroki, her other gripping the end of her cloak.

"Well?" he asked, looking away in slight embarrassment.

"No." she sighed, Todoroki's eyes widening in surprise. "We both know that you were forced to ask me." she sadly smiled.

"N-No I-"

"You don't have to keep pretending." she chuckled, softly taking her hand away from his grip. "It wouldn't be that good if you married someone that you don't love right?"

He stood up and kept looking at her wide eyed.

"You will find someone one day. I'm not that person. I wouldn't bear to look at you every day, knowing that you don't feel the same." she smiled, taking his hand in hers and holding it tightly. "Put the blame on me. Your father will understand."

"I'm sorry (y/n)."

"It's okay, Shoto. I hope that this won't affect our friendship."

"Of course not." he smiled. "I understand if you want to leave, but can I at least have one dance?"

Heading to the ball room, Prince Todoroki took a hold of (y/n)'s hand and they both started dancing gracefully around the hall, everyone's eyes on them. Bakugou noticed, however, that the Princess was struggling with holding back her tears.

As soon as the song ended, they both bowed to each other, and (y/n) signaled Bakugou to follow after her.

"Are we leaving?"

"Yes."

He didn't question her further, he knew that she was upset and he didn't want to make her talk about it more. After arriving at the castle, she lifted up her dress slightly and ran to her chamber, slamming the door afterwards.

Throwing away her heels and crown, she took off her dress and changed to her usual sleeping gown, laying down on her satin sheets without a second thought. She covered her eyes with the back of her hand and took a deep breath, a soft knock on her door startling her unwillingly.

"Are you okay?"

"No."

"Are you crying?"

"No.."

"Do you want to talk about it maybe?"

"You've been my guard for a month now and this is the first time I've heard you speak this nicely to me." she chuckled, rubbing her red eyes.

"Don't get used to it. I'm just making sure that my Princess is doing okay." he replied with a small smirk forming on his lips.

"I appreciate it, but it's fine. You may go, goodnight." she finally said, hearing his soft footsteps echo through the hall. And when complete silence filled the room, she finally let out all the tears she was struggling to hold.

...

The next day, (y/n) wouldn't talk much. All she did was paperwork, attend a horse race that she was invited to, act as a judge between two nobles who had a hard time coming to an agreement about business related matters, and then rest on her throne before she decided to head to her garden. Bakugou was just following her around all day, not saying a single word.

(y/n) leaned forward and admired her roses, cutting off some of them carefully so that she gifted them to people around the castle like she usually would.