Chapter 20

First thing she did in the morning was to visit him. She prayed that he would've woken up, and to her surprise, when she opened the door her eyes fell on his red orbs.

A smile appeared on her cheeks and she sat at the edge of his bed, him resting his back on the bedframe to feel more comfortable.

"What a surprise." he said, brushing his fingers through his spiky hair.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, trying to take a glimpse of his bandaged shoulder.

"I'm doing fine, you needn't worry." he replied while wincing in pain after trying to stretch.

She chuckled and rushed to the room's sink, filling him a new glass of water because by the looks of it, he had placed the rose she left him inside his previous one. Taking a painkiller from one of the healer's cabinets, she handed it to him and gently rested her hand behind his head to help him drink the whole glass.

"I overheard the guards talking about you visiting Monoma yesterday. Is it true?"

She placed the empty glass in the sink and tidied up some of the healer's medicine and equipment before turning to look at him.

"Yes." she simply replied. "I didn't go alone, of course, I had some of my guards come along."

"You gave him the money didn't you?"

"I did."

"How much?"

"An amount that I wouldn't even notice if someone stole from me." she sighed, "Yet, I still wish it was spent on supplies for my people rather than him."

"Well, it's better to give up sometimes." he said, trying to stand up only for her to gently push him back in bed.

"I never give up. My feelings got in the way this time." she murmured before walking outside the room.

...

After a long, busy day all she wished for was to sit down and relax on her throne, but instead, to her surprise, she got a letter from Prince Todoroki asking her to join him and lady Yaoyorozu for dinner. (y/n) sighed and walked to her carriage, not really in the mood to change into fancy dresses this time.

As soon as she arrived at the castle, she was greeted by Momo's cheerful expression. She hugged (y/n) tightly, taking a good look at her before leading her inside the dinning hall. Todoroki joined the two girls right after and then they all sat down to enjoy the warm food.

"You don't look so good (y/n), what's the matter?" asked Momo, her eyebrows raising in worry.

"I'm just tired from today's duties." she replied calmly, taking a sip from her wine glass.

"Where is Bakugou? I was hoping he would join us as well." asked Todoroki right after.

"Well, he got stabbed on the shoulder so unfortunately he couldn't join us today." she casually stated, stuffing her mouth with a piece of her medium-rare steak.

The pair gasped and looked at (y/n) with wide eyes, waiting for her to explain the situation further.

"How did it happen?"

"Monoma." she replied, gripping her fork and knife while cutting the steak into multiple pieces. "Remember the contract? Well, he wouldn't shut up about the money even when I refused to give it to him so he kept harassing me by sending threats, smoke bombs, and the highlight of the week, an assassin. A useless one, to be exact. I failed to protect myself and Bakugou stepped in."

She crossed her arms and legs, the knife still held tightly in one of her gloved hands while she looked back up.

"I had no other choice. If he kept doing those absurd things in the end we would have a war. I gave him the money yesterday."