Chapter 39

"So it's really you."

They stayed silent for some time, getting lost in eachother's eyes until she finally looked away, him doing the same. She clicked her fingers as a way of telling him to follow her, and so, he did.

She dismissed the guards that were protecting the area around her chamber and continued making her way up the corridors. When they arrived outside her room, she pushed the door wide open with her back and allowed him entrance before walking in herself.

She closed the door, facing it for a moment in complete silence.

"I missed you." he whispered, his voice hiding a tint of sadness in it.

She grit her teeth, taking off one of her gloves, and after glancing towards his direction she slapped him hard across the face, her hand trembling as she slowly pulled it back towards her chest.

He didn't say anything, his face remained still before slowly turning towards her figure, however, his eyes never left the floor.

"Explain yourself." she demanded while sitting on her bed.

He ran his fingers through his hair, resting his weight on her desk whilst crossing his arms.

"When they took me to the village, I was already passed out from blood loss. There wasn't much hope, but the healer managed to stop my bleeding and stitch me up right in time. He stayed at the village for some more days to keep an eye on me, but left as soon as I woke up. I woke up after.. three days I think. The first thing I thought of when I woke up was you. I was worried about you. But they told me that you were doing okay."

"I wasn't okay. I was far from okay!"

"I know, (y/n). I got in contact with Aizawa a day after I woke up. I asked him to keep it a secret."

Her eyes widened in shock as soon as he said those words.

"W-What?"

"He told me about you. What you were going through. And the last thing I wanted was to appear in front of you while you were in a weak state of mind. We agreed that it would be best to wait for a while."

It all made sense to her now. Why he would always ask how she was doing, why he tested her triggers. He was preparing her for this moment.

She rested her face on her palms and ran her fingers through her hair, trying to calm herself down from going insane.

"I couldn't live with myself anymore! Every day I kept thinking that it was my fault. I remembered our times together just to punish myself for killing you!"

"I'm sorry (y/n). I-"

"I hate you."

His eyes widened whereas his hands gripped the desk's sides so tightly that they were close to shattering.

"Look at me in the eyes and tell me you do."

"How cruel. Making me say it. As if it's not hard enough for me to look at you."

Tears welled up in his eyes but he did his best not to let them escape.

"Love, for me, means to care for another person's happiness more than your own. No matter how painful the choices you make might be. I agreed to break your heart and stay away from you after I got told that people would kill you if I didn't do so. I agreed to let that man get away with torturing you mentally even though it hurt like hell, just because I was scared that he would touch you with his filthy hands if I didn't listen. I agreed to hide the fact that I was alive just because I didn't want to ruin your mental state more than he already had. More than I already had. Or rather, have."