Ch. 10 - Camping

"Nat, you're going to be alright by yourself?"

"Emma, I think you forget I am 24 years old."

"She'll be fine Emma come on let's go! We're going to be late!" Sam said dragging Emma towards the door.

"Nat call Sabrina if you need anything. I trust her," Kyle told me.

"I will! Will you guys relax! You do this every time!" I told them ushering them out the door. "Just have fun and I promise you'll see my beautiful face in the morning!"

"You know it's why we all wake up in the morning," Kyle teased "to see your beautiful face."

I laughed, "Love you Nat be safe!" Emma yelled as they got into Dillan's car.

"I love you guys too!" I waved. Once they were gone, I let out a deep breath. Finally, the house to myself.

Don't get me wrong I love my roommates. They really are family but I did look forward to these camping trips every month. Not because I liked turning. In fact, I hated turning. It was just a nuisance to me. It reminded me of a life I never chose. Of the reason why I had to live my life in fear and constant hiding. I just liked the time to myself. I know they would never risk coming into the house in their wolf form, so I pretty much had free range. Though I mostly just slept. I mean I did turn at night and a wolf still has got to sleep!

I had about an hour before I'd be forced to turn, and I found my mind drifting to the other day in the Professor's office. Or...Cari's office? God she makes me feel some weird emotions. On the one hand, she makes me want to punch her in the face. Then sometimes she gives me butterflies. And I wish I could say that I only got butterflies when she was sweet. There was something about that haunting grin that made me want to play with fire. Like I knew it would burn me, but damn did I want it to. But more than that I needed to be careful because I was still a hybrid. I was still considered a threat to all supernaturals.

Suddenly a searing pain shot down my spine. Well fuck here we go. Within seconds every bone in my body broke and shifted until I was on all fours whimpering from the sheer amount of pain I just went through. I don't know how werewolves did it all the time. Nothing in life could prepare you for that kind of pain. Though they turned so much that they were probably used to it. I was only 3 years old and turned once a month. Maybe when I'm 100 years old I'll be used to it. Well, I have to make it to 100 first and at the rate I'm going I'll be lucky to make it past this semester.

My wolf was not nearly as large as regular werewolves. I was half the size, but I still looked pretty cool. My coat was pure white like the snow and my eyes like a glowing green forest. I've never seen another wolf that looked like me and it made me feel good that I was unique but at the same time, it just made me stick out more.

Unfortunately, no matter how much I'd like to run through the woods it is not safe, so I am confined to sleeping in my room. I was asleep for probably a couple of hours when I was awoken by someone talking. I leaped out of bed in a panic looking for the voice. Until I heard it again.

"Come on guys stop goofing around."

Emma? Is she...is she talking in my head?

"Oh, come on, baby, lighten up" Kyle responded in my head.

"Nat could be in danger I can't just lighten up Kyle!" Emma retorted.

"Emma, we know that's why we're all here," Sam said.

"Yeah, you know we'd never let anything happen to her," Dillan said.

"It's just I don't like how that vampire looks at her. It seems like she's taken an interest in her. I just hope they're not ma-" Emma was cut off.

"I know, baby, and you know we will do everything to protect her," Kyle said.

"Yeah, it's like she's one of us. She might be human, but I feel like she's a part of this pack." Sam said.

"Because she is. She is our human. I don't understand it either, but we all feel it. We protect her with our lives just like what we'd do for each other." Emma said.

"Amen to that" Dillan said.

If wolves could cry, I would be bawling. I had no idea they truly cared that much. It was true too. I really was a part of their pack. Only packmates can mind link with one another and I heard them all clear as day. Though they didn't know I wasn't human, so they didn't really understand why they had such a close connection with me. I wanted to tell them the truth so badly. If they really loved me as much as they said, then surely they wouldn't kill me. It's just my past history warns me otherwise...

"Dillan and Kyle you take the first watch," Emma spoke.

"You got it Alpha!" Dillan said.

I could sleep easy tonight knowing how loved I was. How I really wasn't as alone as I thought I was and maybe there is hope that one day they may know the real me. I never thought I'd have a pack let alone another family...after everything I lost.