Ch. 40 - The Hunger Games

"Well that explains why we couldn't find Becky anywhere..." Dillan said absent-mindlessly as we huddled together. Everyone looked a little shocked and confused.

"We can always just forfeit?" Kyle suggested cautiously. But that lit a rage in me that I never truly felt before. My canines slipped out and my eyes shown bright green. I was consumed by my anger and Kyle cowered under the intensity of it. I was not going to run away like a fucking coward. I felt a cool hand slip under my chin as it gently directed my seething anger to my mate next to me.

Everyone was looking at me with slight trepidation in their eyes, afraid I was unhinged and an unhinged hybrid was not a good thing. But Cari was cool, calm, and collected. I could sense her confidence and power.

"Put them away, love," Cari sang almost playfully but her eyes told me not to disobey. But I was blinded by rage. To even suggest we run away and cower made me want to rip everyone's head off right then and there. I was not going to hide anymore. If the bitch wanted a fight then the bitch would get one.

Cari of course could sense the flame of rage inside me. But she never wavered. Even with my deadly teeth glistening and teeth and fist clenched in pure anger. Cari held her ground smiling at me like she was amused with my state. As if I was a not nuclear bomb on the verge of  explosion.

Her calm demeanor puzzled me but it did help me relax. If Cari was calm then shouldn't I be too? I trust her more than anyone in the world. She knows everything about me. Down to my exact emotions. She knows what she's doing. I started to relax my clenched fists and slow down my breathing.

"Good girl," she coo'ed as stroked my face lovingly. More tension was leaving my body at her loving touch. Slowly I felt my canines recede and my eyes dim. I felt exhausted and vulnerable from my raw emotions. So flew into my mates arms and clung to her desperately in need of comfort. She wrapped her arms around my tightly and rested her chin on my head. I could feel the happiness pour from her and it made me feel whole again. I'm not used to feeling such strong and visceral emotions but Becky has broke me.

"Sorry," I looked to everyone but still stood firmly in Cari's embrace. I felt her kiss the top of my head and I sighed in content.

"Baby we all get it," she said tenderly. "You're done running."

"It was stupid of me to suggest I'm sorry Nat," Kyle genuinely looked like he felt bad for upsetting me so much.

"It's not stupid Kyle," I laughed lightly and everyone relaxed again. "It's logical but the problem is I'm not..."

"Natty," Maggie laughed, "I thought you were going to explode there for a minute."

"You forget," Cari smirked confidently at her best friend. "Nat might be a nuclear bomb...but I have the launch codes." Well that explains why she was feeling so confident and powerful earlier...

I would roll my eyes or deny it but I knew it was the truth. And rather than feel controlled or weak, I felt liberated. Constantly having to hide. Having to regulate my emotions because the consequences are either my death or others. It was exhausting having all that pressure on me all the time. But with Cari in charge...I could live almost care free. She wouldn't let me explode. She would protect me. I wasn't alone anymore.

"Alright what's the plan?" Joseph said with with rare seriousness.

"Sabrina," Cari looked at our witch. "Soundproof." She commanded.

Without hesitation Sabrina conducted the spell and we all looked to our leader. My love. She looked so powerful and deadly in that moment. There was nothing but determination in her eyes. It was rare that we were ever so serious but it was as if we all flipped a switch. This wasn't a game anymore. This was war. People were going to die. I just prayed it wasn't us.