Ch. 30 - Tension

Call me if you need me, honey, Emma sent through link.

I was shaking in fear. I was so nervous. I wanted to feed her. I mean she is my mate I want to make her happy but that didn't mean I wasn't scared.

Thanks alpha, I responded.

Aww Nat that's the first time you called me that! I could cry! She exclaimed like a proud mother.

I rolled my eyes.

"I hope that eye-roll isn't directed at me, sweetheart," Cari warned.

"No, no," I laughed. "It was just Emma saying stupid things in my head."

"Ah," Cari smiled. "I have to get used to that. I never thought I, of all people, would be mated to someone who is part wolf." She laughed.

"Well I got you beat because I never thought I'd have a mate!" I giggled.

"Well I'm so glad that you are mine," she said sweetly and I blushed brightly.

"You know for a big scary vampire you sure are sweet."

"Only to you my love," she smiled warmly.

"Come on I want to show you something," she said grabbing my hand and guiding me to the backyard. I know she was just trying to distract me because I was shaking like a leaf.

Behind her house she had a beautiful garden with a white gazebo in the center and an enormous patio right off the house with places to lounge everywhere. She also had a full ass forest in her backyard. Like this bitch has a national park in her backyard. I couldn't even guess at where the tree line ended. And if that wasn't enough she had an Olympic sized swimming pool with a rock wall and waterfall. No wonder she thought I was living like an animal this bitch had it all!

"You know tomorrow is the full moon," Cari said as we walked into the woods hand-in-hand admiring the tranquility.

"I know. I was trying to forget." I huffed. Cari stopped in her tracks and stared at me in confusion.

"Why aren't you excited? I thought all wolves loved the full moon? I thought it made you feel free or something?" Cari asked genuinely.

I laughed humorlessly, "Yeah for normal wolves but I'm not a normal wolf. For me it's just a reminder of my curse. Most of the time I feel human but when I turn I'm reminded why I'm hunted."

"Look at me Nat," Cari said sternly. "You don't have to live in fear anymore. I'm going to take care of you, baby. You are not cursed. What you are is amazing and rare and it should be valued not hunted. We love you for who you are, baby. You have to love yourself too."

"How can I when I'm the reason my parents are dead?" I said sadly.

"Oh baby," Cari pulled me into a tight hug. "You are not responsible for that. Those ignorant and despicable things that call themselves wolves were." She spat. "Your parents loved you very much. That much I already know. I know it's not something you will ever truly get over but you have to know I will be here for you. You can always vent to me. And you know what?" She pulled away to look me in the eyes. "I think that they would want you to embrace who you are too. You are in a safe space to do so. These woods are yours. We'll all be here to keep you safe. Enjoy yourself for once. "

Oh my god really!? Thank your mate for me I'm so excited! We've never had a forest all to ourselves! Sam sent through link.

"Jesus will you give us some privacy!" I yelled so all the nosy supernaturals in the house would hear.

I got a collective 'sorry' through link from my pack. Those bastards were all listening!

Cari was laughing, "Who was it this time?"