Ch. 13 - Questions

"Don't worry about it now sweetheart." She smiled, "Why don't we play a game to make this go by faster?"

"Please God, yes." She laughed.

"Ok you ask me any question you want, and I'll answer honestly, and I expect the same from you?" She said raising a brow.

"Fine" I pouted "but this game doesn't sound very fun."

"Well, I mean you still are being punished for skipping my class." I rolled my eyes.

"You can go first, little one."

"Hmm, where are you from?"

"Vienna Austria" She smiled.

"You don't have an accent?"

"That's because I haven't lived there in a long time." She smiled. "My turn."

"Where are you from, little one?"

"Everywhere" I laughed.

"Now Nat I was honest with you..." She said looking angry.

"Sorry no, it's just that I moved around a lot. We never really stayed anywhere longer than a year."

"What why?" She looked shocked.

"Um that's two questions it's definitely my turn now!" She rolled her eyes, "go ahead."

"How old are you?"

"You know it's rude to ask a woman her age?" She raised a brow but clearly teasing me.

"Well haven't been very polite to you so far so I figured, why start now?" I shrugged.

"True... Well, it depends on who you ask. Some say I'm 29 and others will tell you I'm more like 900 years old." She laughed. So it was true.

"Now, why did you move around a lot?"

I sighed. I didn't want to lie to her, but I didn't want to tell her the truth either because she would only have more questions that would give me away. "Well...it was safer to move around more."

She just looked more confused but waited for me to ask my next question.

"Do you have any family?"

She chuckled "Yes, I believe you met my sister?"

"Yeah, she was...uhh stubborn."

"She likes you." She laughed "She likes how you challenge me. She thinks you're very brave and I happen to agree whole-heartedly," she winked at me. I blushed, her words making me feel all fuzzy inside.

"Now," she placed a reassuring hand on my arm, "sweetheart, why were you in danger?"

Fuck. I wanted to tell her so bad. I want her to know me. Know the real me. But I just couldn't. Not with all I've seen and been through...

"Cari," I said quietly, "I want to tell you but, I can't. I'm not ready yet, I'm sorry." I looked down not able to look her in the eyes.

"Hey baby look at me" she spoke softly as if afraid to break me. I slowly met her caring gaze.

"You, tell me when you're ready. No rush, okay little one?" I nodded, captivated by her tenderness. It was like I was talking to a completely different person. One filled with so much love.

"I need to ask you one more question though, sweetheart." I nodded and my heart racing with nerves. Did she figure it out?

"Are you in danger now?