Chapter 2

SVU Season 16: Episode 4

In the criminal justice system, sexually-based offenses are considered especially heinous

In the criminal justice system, sexually-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In New York City, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as The Special Victims Unit.
These are their stories.

MERCY HOSPITAL
365 WEST 32ND STREET

"Did you notice anyone following you?" Fin asked as we followed her into the room.

She shook her head "No. It was 6:00 am, the streets were empty."

"You were on your way to work?" Fin asks.

"I was actually coming home from a date." She says getting into the bed.

"Can you tell us what happened, Haley?" I asked looking at her.

"I opened my building door. He came out of nowhere, pushed me in, dragged me behind the stairs, and pulled a knife. He grabbed my breast, my legs, tried to stick his fingers inside me." She says looking uncomfortable.

I glance over at Fin then back to her "He tried? But he didn't rape you?"

"I pushed him away. I screamed, I told him to get his fucking hands off me. That's when he lost it." She said taking a deep breath.

Fin spoke next "And started stabbing you?"

She scoffed "More like flailing. I was fighting him off. He counted each stab, 15 of them. His voice was flat, and he had this... Weird smile. Then he stopped." She said as Fin and I glance at each other.

"Did he say anything else?" I ask quietly.

"Yeah, actually. When he started, he said, "I know what you like, Haley." She said staring down at her fingers.

"So, he knew your name, but you didn't recognize him?" Fin asks her.

"No, not at all." She responded to him.

Showing her the picture on his phone Fin asked her "Is this the guy?"

She shrugged her shoulders "It looks like him, I guess."

"Are you sure you don't remember him from school or work?" Fin questioned.

She sighed "No, but when I resisted, he accused me of not liking him because he wasn't black."

I glance to Fin again "The guy you were dating last night, was he black?"

She shook her head "No. He was lrish. We met at a bar."

"Had you dated any black guys recently?" Fin asked next.

"When I was in high school, a guy on the football team, but not since then." She said as Fin and I connected eyes.