Chapter 13

SVU Season 16: Episode 23

In the criminal justice system, sexually based offenses are considered especially heinous

In the criminal justice system, sexually based offenses are considered especially heinous. In New York City, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Special Victims Unit.
These are their stories.

It's been a few weeks since everything with Blue Templar and emotionally I have been doing good. My dad has me in therapy to talk about everything that happened, help clear my head. I've also been going to family dinner; it was a bit awkward at first but now it's like I never stopped. I was helping Liv with her meeting with Social Services about Noah. They approved her to be an adoptive partner and my heart swelled. She really needed this, and I am so happy for her. But my heart stopped when they her lawyer mentioned Noah's father.

We are sitting around the table as Barba speaks to all of us "Johnny Drake, aka Johnny D, has run out of delaying tactics. We are proceeding to trial on 17 counts of rape, assault, trafficking, and kidnapping."

"Nice work taking this from the Feds." Sonny says as I take a sip of my coffee.

"You'll need us to testify?" Nick asks.

"I'm assuming that won't be problem." Barba says looking to Liv.

She shakes her head "Not at all."

"Lots of witnesses. It's gonna be a long trial." Fin says as I look to Liv with sympathy.

"I want him put away for life." Barba says.

I clear my throat "All right, what can we do?"

"Means you got to re-vet every witness... no surprises." Barba says before grabbing his stuff.

"Counselor, walk you out?" Liv says following him knowing exactly what they are about to talk about.

After looking into the witnesses Sonny speaks up "I think I get why the Feds kicked this case to Barba."

"Cause nobody wants to do any more work than they have to." Fin says leaning back in his chair.

"Our bust, our case." Nick says as I chuckle.

"That's true... but geopolitically, Johnny D is a Canadian national." Sonny says.

Amanda nods "And they won't extradite a U.S. citizen back here for a capital crime."

"Exactly. So, rather than risk in an international brouhaha, they give the case to Barba." Sonny says.

"We should've shot him when we had the chance." Fin says making me giggle.

Sonny smirks at me as he talks "Probably. Cause even if Barba gets a conviction on all counts, he's looking at 25 to life. He could be paroled in 15."