Part 10

"Alastor Moody. Ex-Auror. Ministry malcontent and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. l am here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?" Moody says as he stands at the front of the class. I am sat with Draco. "When it comes to the Dark Arts l believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?"

"Three, sir" Hermione says. I roll my eyes and lean back in my chair as he begins to scribble on the whiteboard.

"And they are so named?" He asks.

"Because they are unforgivable. The use of any one of them will..." She says.

"Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, correct. The Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. l say different! You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared. You need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnigan!" He shouts and turns to Seamus. Draco snickers as Seamus sulks.

"No way. The old codger can see out the back of his head" Seamus groans and Moody launches the chalk across the classrooms.

"And hear across classrooms! So which curse shall we see first? Weasley!" He says stopping in front of Ron and Harry's desk. Ron jumps out of his skin.

"Yes?" He asks shakily. Draco sits forward.

"Now this should be funny" He whispers. I just roll my eyes.

"Stand. Give us a curse" Moody says. Ron stands slowly.

"Well, my dad did tell me about one. The lmperius Curse" He says slowly. Moody nods with a small smile.

"Oh, yeah, your father would know all about that. Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why. Hello. Lovely little beauty. Engorgio. Imperio! Don't worry. lt's completely harmless. lf she bites she's lethal. What are you laughing at?" He says and launches the spider from Ron's desk to Draco's face.

"Get it off!" He shouts and I jump away from it.

"Not a chance" I say, shaking my head. He glares at me as Moody takes it away.

"Talented, isn't she? What should l have her do next? Jump out the window? Drown herself?" He says and holds it over a bowl of water. I sit back in my seat slowly. "Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only did You-Know-Who's bidding under the influence of the imperius Curse But here's the rub: How do we sort out the liars? Another, another. Up, up. Come on. Longbottom, is it? Up. Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for herbology" Neville slowly stands up.

"There's the...The Cruciatus Curse," He says. He ushers Neville to his desk.

"Correct, correct. Come, come. Particularly nasty. The torture curse. Crucio!" He says and the spider starts crying out. I look to see Neville shaking and scrunching up his face.

"I can't watch this," I say, turning my head away.

"Stop it! Can't you see it's bothering him? Stop it!" Hermione screams. I turn to see him stop. I take a deep breath as he puts the spider on his hand.

"Perhaps you could give us the last Unforgivable Curse, Miss Granger. No?" He says as she shakes her head. He turns his gaze to me and places it in front of me. "What about you Miss Avery? I'm sure you've heard of it"

"No" I say and shake my head. I ignore the tears threatening to spill.

"Avada Kedavra!" He says. I jump as the spider dies. I stare ahead of me not even meeting anyone's gaze. "The Killing Curse. Only one person is known to have survived it and he's sitting in this room" He dismisses the class and I grab my bag rushing out.