Chapter 28

"Hey sweetheart, it's okay. Why don't you tell me what happened?" I say kneeling next to the first year that's sitting just outside the common room. Her eyes are bloodshot with tears and her hands shaking. I take her hand softly and see the words on her hand. "Does it hurt?" She nods and I pull out my wand. I heal the words on her hand and she smiles at me.

"Umbridge told me I wasn't allowed to have friends in other houses. But she's my best friend. She has been since I was born our families hang out every holiday" She says wiping her tears on her sleeve. I pull out a tissue from my pocket and hand it to her. She takes it gratefully.

"Listen to me, no one can stop who your friends with. It's going to be okay" I say and help her up. "Come on back to your dorm" She gives me a hug and I smile as she runs back inside to bed. Umbridge is going to get what's coming to her. This has to end. Since Dumbledore has left she's only gotten worse. Draco and the others were forced to join her inquisitorial squad and ended up exposing Harry's secret lessons. Since that night at the manor none of us have heard anything from Voldemort. I've been studying like crazy to pass my OWLs and unintentionally avoiding Draco in the meantime. Things have been a little awkward between us. I've been avoiding everyone, sometimes even just falling asleep in the common room to avoid going to bed. Which is what I was planning tonight before coming across the young Slytherin. Our OWLs are tomorrow morning and I haven't been able to sleep in the same bed as Draco.

"Hey, what are you doing down here?" Blaise says walking down the steps and sitting next to me on the sofa. I shrug and lean back. "Y/N talk to me...I know I'm Draco's best friend but I'm also yours"

"I'm just nervous about tomorrow's exams" I state and he doesn't look convinced. "Plus I heard one of the first years crying, she just got back from detention with Umbridge"

"Y/N...y/n" I hear the whisper and turn around. Blaise is looking at me confused, clearly not hearing my name.

"Are you okay?" He says as I stand up slowly and feel my arm hairs prick up. I nod.

"Yeah, I just realised I left my books in the library, I'll be back soon" I say and walk out the common room before he can say another word. I keep hearing the whisper as I hurry down the corridor as quickly as I can. The voice stops as I reach a door, I look towards it and my hand reaches out and the door opens. I step inside and look around the empty room full of mist. I shudder realising how cold it is. The door behind me slams shut and I turn around trying to pry it open. It's jammed I bang on it twice and slump on the floor. "You just had to follow the voice Y/N" I roll my eyes and hug my knees.

"Darling..." My eyes snap up to see a figure materialising in the mist. My eyes widen.

"Da-Dad" I whisper. He nods and leans down next to me. "How? Why are you here?" He smiles at me and I shake my head thinking I'm going crazy.

"Because you needed me. I will always be here when you need me," says. I nod slowly and try to touch his hand but it just goes straight through the mist. "I am so sorry for what your mother and I did, I know he claims to be your father but you are nothing like him I promise you"

"I don't know who I am anymore" I admit and he nods the ghost figure sitting next to me on the floor.

"Let me show you something, hold out your hand and open your mind" He says. I hold out my hand and take a deep breath relaxing. I see a ball of light coming from my hand and materialising into an image of him and my mother. She is very pregnant and he stands behind her.

"Do you really think this is the best choice my love?" My mothers voice speaks. He clasps her hand and puts the other on her protruding bump.

"It is the only way to keep our daughter safe. I am so sorry I did this to you but I had to keep you and her safe" He says. I see the glimmer of their wedding bands.

"This was not your fault, we were both given a short straw but I don't want that for her. I want her to grow up in a world without him," She says. My father nods and takes out his wand. "Please come back home" The image changes and I see my father draw his wand at Voldemort then a green flash. My fathers body is on the floor with Voldermort above him. A tear slips past my eye as I see my mother run in sobbing over my fathers body.

"Severus please...take her. Take my daughter away. He's dying but they will never let me go. He will kill me...protect her" My mother begs from a bed. She kisses my forehead and passes me to Severus. I watch as my small fingers unravel from hers. A small bright light surrounds her until the connection of our fingers breaks.

"What was that?" I ask. I look to my father and he smiles.

"That was you stopping your mother from being killed, the reason she is still alive today. Even as a child you saved her. Voldermort tried to kill her that night when he realised you were gone. But couldn't so he set off in search of the Potter's believing they were the reason for his downfall" He says and I feel my heart sink. "You are and always have been extraordinary my beautiful girl"

"I hurt him Dad, I could have killed Draco" I say letting my tears fall freely.

"You saved him, if Voldermort knew he was your weakness he would have killed him to eliminate the problem" He says, "I have to go, but I'm with you always you can do this I promise"

"Dad..." I whisper as he disappears. I stand up as I hear steps coming down the hall. I move back slightly as the door swings open to reveal a dishevelled Draco. He looks at me with worry.

"I've been looking everywhere for you. What's going on? Don't bullshit me Y/N I've had enough!" He yells. I step back slightly at his tone. I know I have to be honest with him.

"I'm scared that you being with me will kill you..." I admit and he opens his mouth but I cut him off. "I saw my Dad, he was here" Draco's eyes widened as he looked around the room.

"Voldermort was here!" He says coming closer to me. I shake my head and take his hand. His eyes soften at the contact after the silence I've given him over the past few days.

"No he wasn't, my real father. He appeared to me like a ghost. I know I probably sound crazy but he showed me something with my powers. I'm the reason my mother is alive, I protected her and I didn't even realise it" I admit and put my hand on the side of his cheek. "I know that I won't hurt you Draco but I'm scared that I can't protect you..." He takes my face in his hands wiping the tears from my eyes and I lean into the embrace.

"Let me protect you for once my love, you carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, beautifully but it's time to let me help you. I promise I will keep us safe but you have to promise not to shut me out because we are a team" He says and I nod slowly. He leans forward and kisses me softly. "Let's get some sleep" I followed him back to the dorm taking one last look at the room where I met my father for the first time. My parents were not bad people, they just wanted to protect each other and me. I think it's about time I have a conversation with my mother.