Chapter 21

"Good morning, children," Umbridge says. She walks proudly into the class with a stupid smile and another god awful pink outfit. Draco smirks slightly from next to me as I lean back in my chair. "Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-Ls. More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe. Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on...you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved... course of defensive magic. Yes?" She stops as Hermione puts her hand up after looking through the book. Draco and I both giving each other a look as we flick through.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" Hermione queries. Umbridge just smiles wider with a confused look.

"Using spells? Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom" She says. My eyes widen. What the hell? How is this woman a professor?

"We're not gonna use magic?" Ron asks, looking at her confused. I close the book in disgust.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way" She replies with her sickly smile and stupid laugh.

"What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free" Harry interrupts and I mentally faceplant.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class" She says shortly and then turns away from Harry. Seems like she really doesn't like him. "It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations which, after all, is what school is all about" I scoff and sit back in my chair. Draco shakes his head at me and nods over to Harry reminding me that I need to act like I hate him.

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry shouts back. She takes a breath and strains a smile at him.

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" She asks. Looks like the ministry is still ignoring the fact that Voldermort is back.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort" Harry says and more people turn to look at him. I know he's frustrated but this isn't helping.

"Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told... that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie" Umbridge says walking away from Harry's desk reigning in her frustration.

"It's not a lie. I saw him. I fought him" He shouts. I stiffen and Draco puts a hand on my thigh.

"Detention, Mr. Potter" Umbridge says and I try to make eye contact with Harry or Ron to stop this.

"So according to you Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?" Harry shouts. I feel my breath get stuck in my throat and tears burning my eyes.

"Babe breathe" Draco whispers. I see images run through my head of Cedric dead on the floor.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident" She says getting annoyed at Harry.

"It was murder. Voldemort killed him" Harry shouts. More images flash in my mind and screams from myself and Amos Diggory.

"I can't be here" I say and get out of my seat running from the room. I lean against the wall outside of the classroom and let my tears fall.

"Miss Avery! Back here now! What gives you the right to excuse yourself from my lesson?" She says. I walk over to her wiping my tears away.

"I'm sorry professor it was just..." I start but she shakes her head.

"Detention. My office. 6pm. Now go to your next class" She says glaring at me. I nod slowly as she walks into the class. After a few minutes people stream out shooting me sympathetic smiles. I shake them off as Draco, Malia and Blaise rush over to me.