Deceptions

*Just a forewarning to you all - if this chapter seems quite haywire it's because my life is pretty haywire right now and I don't really have the time to write, but I want to as it's nice to lose yourself in stuff. Out of all the chapters in really nervous about this one - so I hope it's alright. At some point it will come under editing and A LOT of scrutinising! Not to mention when I planned out the end of the story I've reached the "???" Part of the page - no joke - so do bare with me. I'm trying to set it up for a sequel (which I'm finding extracts to write rather than finishing this one 😱 I know confusing!) so without further ado enjoy madness!*

There is a small creak, as Gwen peers through the shadowy gloom to see Elaine lying on the bed.
"Are you alright?" She asks. Elaine looks up slightly her vision obscured but the covers. Gwen perches herself on the side of the bed and Elaine scrambles up to greet her, though much to Gwen's surprise she is thrown into an embrace.
"What is this for?" Gwen says sounding surprised.
"For doing your head in, everything, anything" she sighs.
"Elaine, it's alright - what did I tell you before? Your comic relief is welcomed in times like this - especially after today's news" Gwen replies but can tell that Elaine has yet to accept the fact the war was coming.
"A little bird tells me that you are...struggling...to come to terms with today's news"
"You mean Lena?" Elaine asks as Gwen bites her lip.
"Maybe..." Gwen answers somewhat embarrassed. Was it really that obvious?
"It's just -" the words are on the edge of her tongue, she so wishes to spill and reveal all of her knowledge but decides against it. "- a lot to take it, I had really hoped it wouldn't come to this" she says truthfully.
"So do I, but it will be what it will be - we can only do our best - and we will you know, we will get by" she tries to reassure the young ward by pulling her in tight and rubbing her arm. Hoping that age can't see the doubt in her brown eyes, knowing that when the war strikes things will never be the same, how could it be? It may as well be a civil war - family member against family member - where is the justice in that?

Elaine's jaw is clenched, as her mind, the visions slowly push her in the direction to the point of no return.
"Gwen?" She asks, "Id hate to bother you but would you be able to get me some water please?"
"Of course, are you sure you are feeling ok?"
Elaine nods, I just think I need a little lie down..." She trails off and gestures to the gash on the side of her head and shrugs.
"Right you stay put and I'll be right back" Gwen says, already halfway to the door. Elaine watches as the hem of her yellow dress slides out of sight, her heart sinking slightly - guilty that she couldn't bring herself to tell the truth. Her eyes sting, as tears try to break the banks, but a few steady blinks washes them away. Elaine looks to the mirror, and watches as her reflection seems to have a moment of realisation. Now was the time. She gets up with out a second thought and rushes out of the door, that clatters in her wake.

"Why are you in such a hurry?" Once again another voice catches her unaware. Elaine looks back to see Arthur and the Knights.
"Is everything alright?" Arthur asks.
"Perfectly fine - I told Gaius that id help him prepare - i mustn't keep you all I know how busy you all are at a time like this"
The Knights nod at her statement, Gwaine's gazes lingers on her a little longer, as does Arthur's.
"I'll see you later then" calls Arthur, and Elaine nods, unable to voice what would have been broken words.

She bursts through Gaius's chambers completely oblivious to Gaius's and Merlin's discussions. She races past them, and clambers up the rockets stairs into Merlin's chambers. Both Gaius and Merlin exchange puzzled glances - Merlin then doing a double take as a possessed looking Elaine shot into his room.
"Can I help you?" Gaius calls.
"What do you think you are doing?" Merlin says bounding up the steps to meet her, only of find her on her hands and knees invading his "secret compartment".
"How did you-?" He asks dumbfounded. Elaine looks up as if annoyed to see him.
"I was a thief" she frowned,
"A what?" Merlin asks, despite having her heard her properly he just couldn't believe what he had heard.
"How else was I supposed to survive?"
"So how did you know about that then?"
"Well it's obvious...this is the first place anyone would think to look!"
"So why are you looking?"
"You've got something of mine...well I put it there.." She admitted.
"So why did you hide something in the most "obvious" place?" Merlin questions.
"Because no one else is foolish enough to look there" she says raising an eyebrow as she pulls out the leather pouch.
"Merlin I really don't think you are asking the right questions -" Gaius calls, "would someone please explain what on earth is going on?"

Elaine charges down the small set of stairs,
"My apologies Gaius, I only had but one belonging when I arrived here and when I was staying with you in Merlin's room I put it there for safe keeping. It seems the knock on the head reminded me of it so I apologise for that fiasco - it's all under control now" she smiles, hovering by Gaius' chamber door ready to leave before anyone else could ask any questions she was gone.

Gaius looks at Merlin with a stern stare.
"I'm not quite sure what that was about, but I think you should keep an eye on her" he half asks, half orders Merlin.