I Thought You Ought to Know

Gwaine jogs down the corridor to catch up with Merlin. His chainmail jingles each time his foot pounds the floor.
"Merlin!" He says, coming to a steady pace walking next to him.
"Gwaine" he says cheerily watching the knight whip his hair into place. "Can I help you?"
"Yes actually, I think you can" he smiles, and it oozes charm. Merlin looks surprised.
"What is it about?" He asks intrigued.
"Elaine" he says a little lower than before. Merlin stops walking and so does Gwaine.
"About her accident?" Merlin asks, squinting at Gwaine as if to work out what might come next.
"Well that's the thing it just seems a bit odd to me. Yes the horse bolted but someone else was there I'm sure"
"Did she say?"
"No, but I've got a hunch"
"How so?"
"She says the horse reared and she fell off, and that's all well and good - but her head? There were hardly and rocks around that area so that to me is a mystery."
"I thought you were talking about the fact you thought someone was there"
"I was getting to that Merlin," he says raising an eyebrow. Merlin looks apologetic.
"As I was saying," Gwaine continues, "she says that there was no one else there, but there was movement in that area, just no disturbances where she was found. Not even by her, but I noticed a boot mark on her dress, it's pretty faded but it's there. And if that wasn't her, which would be pretty hard then who was it?"
Merlin frowns, Gwaine did seem to have a point. Even he noticed that her dress wasn't in the finest condition but she had fallen of a horse.
"So what are you implying?" Merlin asks. Gwaine shrugs but Merlin can guess by his suggestive face.
"Morgana?" Merlin seems to answer his own question.
"All I'm saying is that they seemed to be pretty friendly before, Id hate to think they were planning something"
"I wouldn't think so" Merlin admits honestly, "I know she had fallen into Morgana's care but I doubt she's planning something. She is the one who spared Arthur after all".
"I guess so..." Gwaine's sentence falls away, "I just thought you ought to know - something just doesn't seem right"
"So how did you think I could help you?" Merlin asks.
"Come on man, we are friends are we not? I just wanted to talk to you about it, plus you are famous in the Tavern for revealing the truth about the Lady Catrina to Arthur! Where would we be if it wasn't for you" he laughs.
"I didn't know I was famous!" Merlin laughs in return.
"It's quite the tall tale in the tavern, clearly I need to get you in there more" Gwaine winks.
"Arthur wouldn't be too impressed"
"We will bring him too" Gwaine chuckles.
"Anyway, I just know that you've got a nose...or should I say an ear" he jokes, nudging Merlin's arm, "for finding out the truth, Camelot owes you a great debt and you just seem to be the best person to tell right now, should she be planning anything I'm sure you'd be the first to uncover it" Gwaine smiles,
"Like I said, I thought you ought to know"

Suddenly Merlin's name reverberates through the corridors once more. Merlin looks at Gwaine, and Gwaine nods knowing Merlin would have to run.
"Don't worry Gwaine, I'll keep an eye out, but I say she means no harm!" And with that he runs towards the sound of Arthur's booming voice.