At The Waters Edge

Merlin can feel magic humming through the castle walls as he lies in his bed, eyes open and staring at the rafters. Something or someone was up to something and he knew he was the only one who'd be ready to investigate it. Almost begrudgingly he slips out of the bed and past the sleeping Gaius. He cautiously steps out into the moonlit corridor and surveys the area. Nothing, not even the chink of chainmail as a guard patrols the castle grounds. He closes his eyes, the magic wasn't as strong as before, but he could still feel it like a ringing in his ear. Opening his eyes he looks down the corridor to see the hem of a red cloak disappear around a corner, heading towards the court yard.

He chases down the corridor, walking quickly as so not to draw attention to himself. He had seen this so many times before. A cape billowing as some midnight walker escaped to plot the castles downfall. He hoped with all his might that it wouldn't be the case, not again, not with her. Merlin nearly falls over himself, he can hear guards approaching and so he conceals himself in an alcove of shadows. They pass not even stoping to glance down the corridor and merlin lunges out of the corner towards the window. Only to watch Elaine be devoured by the darkness. She was lost to the night, and Merlin could only wonder what it was that called her to stalk the night. Left wondering if there was truth in Gwaine's words after all - he had to find out, but now wasn't the time.

~

Elaine's feet slide in her boots as she stumbles over the undergrowth. The darkness clouds her vision, she can't see where she is going. She wasn't even completely certain, it was more of a sense of needing to go than knowing why. Something inside her dragged her towards the waters edge.

The moonlight danced on the waters surface, lacing the ripples in silver and white. Elaine only stopped when she could her the slashing underfoot and she snapped out of her semi trance. She looks around confused by her surroundings. How did she end up here and more so why? All she could remember were the visions that consumed her mind when she closed her eyes. The water swashes against the sand and gravel, it's sound is soothing but it's not long until it is drowned out by a buzzing. The buzz was consistent, like the sound of a thousand birds. Slowly blue orbs rose from the lake, darting about in every direction. The Sidhe.

Her eyes flash gold, and she manages to suspend time to her her midnight visitors. The Sidhe elder hovers in at eye line.
"A Pendragon" he says with some kind of snarl. She could see the devious plans running though his mind, ways to the throne. It was common knowledge amongst the druid community that the Sidhe desired Camelot. Elaine blinks slowly, still trying to figure out the flashes from the crystals earlier that day.
"Why am I here?" She asks.
"How am I supposed to answer that!" The fairy retorts, "you came on your own accord did you not?"
"Not of my own will" she growls, "I do not want the future that has been thrust upon me"
"I'm not willing to absolve you of it if that is what you are asking."

Elaine tuts, "who said I wanted anything from you?"
"You know that's not the truth"
"So you do know why I'm here?" She asks curious.
"I know more than you do, I know why you are here and what you'll want from me in return when the deed is done"
"What deed?" She inquires.
"You know the deed" he says pointing a tiny hand towards her. A vision bright and see riding white strikes her minds eye. The crystals visions play again in her mind. She can see the water sloshing, bubbling and something rising from the depths. A glint of gold. The vision knocks her back, she feels the weight of the vision, the water as if it's all in her head.

"What is that supposed to mean?"she asks breathing heavily, clutching her already injured temple, "that doesn't explain anything"
"Well it's why you are here, to secure the deal, to make sure you get what you need in return"
"I shouldn't be here" she mutters, turning to leave as he forces the vision upon her once more.
"Don't fight it - it will reveal what you seek"
"I seek nothing, I only want to rid myself of this damned vision. I am not the one to save the day."
"You'll be the one to cause it if you don't."
"No!" She barks, " I know it's not my hand that'll cause this plight - you are wrong! You cannot force me to believe a lie"
"The time will come when you will have no choice"
"You will not force my hand - I've tried and they don't heed my warning there is nothing more I can do"
"Then it isn't you who had to say it"
"Enough," Elaine orders, finding the strength to up and leave the argument. "Enough".
She stumbles back up the embankment ignoring the jeers and shouts of the Sidhe community.
"You will be back and when you do you better know what you want"check calls out.
Elaine looks back and in the water she sees a face, their outline distorted by the ripples but there were there. Her heart stops and nearly sinks. The sight taking her by surprise. A sight that made the Sidhe's words fall into place. She knew what the deal meant now.