Contemplation

Elaine drops on to the bed defeated, looking out of the window.
"What's wrong Elaine?" Gwen asks, slowly sitting down next to her.
"I don't think that went very well -" she gives a half smile "what a mess". She holds her head in her hand.
"It wasn't that bad!" Gwen admits "you are just tired and hungry" she nudges her gently and Elaine look up at her.
"And if anything it was a bit of a laugh - which we all needed after that council meeting!"
Elaine smiles and rests her head on Gwen's shoulder, closing her eyes. How did she ever end up here? How did she ever get a friend like Gwen. A woman who cared so much for her family. The one who brought her sister peace and happiness after troubled nights. The woman who loved her brother unconditionally. Elaine now finds herself in this woman's care and for once a time in her life is nice.

Gwen wraps one arm around Elaine and pulls her closer.
"Thank you" Elaine murmurs "for talking to Arthur"
"It was nothing - and it'll only get easier won't it! Don't fret, I understand it's all new to you"
"Why does everything have to be so serious? To move so quickly? Where is the lightheartedness in the world?"
Gwen's hand slides up and down Elaine's arm, gliding with ease over her silk dress.
"In you" she smiles wrinkling her nose slightly.

The pair share a rare moment of comfortable silence. Both being able to rest momentarily, Gwen gazing out of the arched window, Elaine trying to sleep. It seems to span decades but for some strange reason it works and a peace falls over the room.
Elaine's eyes flutter open, and she sits up straight following Gwen's gaze.

"As much as I don't want to, I did promise Arthur I'd do my own investigations into this Kingdom I guess I owe him that much at least"
"Very wise" Gwen agrees. Elaine takes another look at Gwen - "thank you" she says with a small smile and Gwen can see the sincerity glistening in her green eyes.

"It's a pleasure milady"she replies returning the smile.
Elaine gets up and moves to the window, her dress falling back into place. It sways gently as the train glides over the stone slabs.

"I think I might take a walk - the air might just do me some good!"
"Then you'll need this" Gwen says handing her a red cloak lined with silver to complement her dress.
"It's beautiful" she says quietly, in awe of the cloth being draped over her.
"I had a friend of mine take it up a bit to fit you. It would t be long until you have a wardrobe as extensive as Morgana's!"
"I'd hate to disappoint you Gwen but dresses were never really my thing"
"I know what you mean, but we will just have to put up with them for now - but fear not I'm getting some of the other handmaidens to sort out your wardrobe, you'll be spoilt for choice!".
"Thank you Gwen that is so thoughtful!"
"Well Arthur did ask me to look after you" she admits
"And you are doing a sterling job - I don't think I would have lasted this long with out you"

Elaine looks upon her servant with fresh eyes. Such kindness, compassion - talent even - thoughtfulness beyond compare. She had never known the likes of such friendliness and willingness to help.
"Has anyone ever told you Gwen that you are wonderful?"

"No - I, I don't think they have!" She admits, swaying slightly like she always did when she was flattered or embarrassed.
"Well don't let anyone tell you any different!" And with that they leave the chamber arm in arm.