Only if for a Night

~~~Oh Kristina, you do make me come up with these impromptu twists, ideas and loop holes! I don't know how you do it! I only hope my poor story and carry the burden of all these new and crazy ideas! Be aware dear reader that this chapter may dissolve just like the night 😉~~~ Kristina08G 😉 (look what I can do 😁)

The night was crisp and clear. The only thing obscuring the dazzling moonlight were wafer thin clouds that lazily drifted past in the light breeze. It was clear that there was going to be a heavy frost tonight. The order of high priestess that resided at the Isle of the blessed were always the first to feel winters icy grip.

Deep within the labyrinth like lair Elaine was lounging around in her chamber. Her room was small and compact, but boasted a large fireplace with a fire that was beginning to dwindle.

Magda one of the high priestess who was doing her rounds quietly knocked on the door and stepped inside. She looked to the bed, Elaine's usual hiding place - only to find her on the floor, propped up on her hound in front of the fire on a large fur rug. The hound looked up from its slumber, noted Magda's arrival, and carefully lowered his head again. Elaine stirred too.

"We do supply beds you know" Magda's voice was soft, enchanting even. She was a rather tall middle aged woman with short blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. Elaine shifted slightly to look at her through the thick black fluff she was resting on.
"This silly old lump wanted some company" she gave a half smile as the hound looked up and shoved his large head into her face, unimpressed with her comment.
"Is that so?" Magda asked, a hint of curiosity present, as she ventured towards the bed. Elaine watched her carefully, following her every step unsure if she believed her comment.

Elaine sat up slowly, allowing her hound to stretch and lean on her in return. The warmth of the fire made her back tingle. Magda had carefully perched on the end of the four poster bed and watched Elaine intently. They both shared a pause that felt more intimate than awkward. Although it wasn't long until Magda got things moving.

"It's time" she smiled taking Elaine by the hand and leading her to the small arched window. "Are you ready?"
"I don't understand all these rituals" Elaine admitted only to feel a hand on her shoulder.
"It will all become clear child, just like the night"

Elaine looked up to search Magda's face for answers, but she was only greeted by a distance look on her face staring off into the twinkling darkness.

It wasn't long until they were both making their careful descent down spiralling staircases. The hound following behind them, casting large monstrous shadows along the walls. Elaine was brought into a room full of candles at various stages of life. Wax dribbled down from the sides, creating stalactites of all sizes and shapes. There was a strong smell of incense and spices. Small ornate carvings were carefully placed around the alter, but if there was one thing that Elaine noticed the most it was the colour that this room boasted compared to the other areas she had seen. It was vibrant and the flickering flames danced on the walls. Initiation was far more glamorous than she had ever imagined. She looked around taking in the sight ,smells and sounds getting lost in her new world.

"You must let it take you, do not fight it"
Elaine jumped a now hooded Magda was standing tall upon the alter, somehow casting menacing shadows in all directions. Hands landed on Elaine's shoulders, slowly falling down her arms maintaining a tight grip on them. Her eyes wide she tried to mask her fear but Magda was quick to notice.

"Don't fear it child" she scolded lightly. Elaine scowled she wasn't a child - a lady would be more befitting. Someone of her station. The world flickered briefly and seemed to stop as if she was being released from the depths. Nothing. Nothing but the overwhelming smell of incense, her eyes rolled, once familiar surrounding blurred like oil on water and then darkness.