The Raven

Arthur steps into his chambers. Armour, clothes and even a sword or two is strewn around the table and over the floor. He looks at them in disbelief and sighs. "I really do have the worst servant in the five kingdoms" he grumbles.

A tapping noise distracts him. He looks around, "if it's a blasted rat I swear Merlin you are going to pay".
*tap tap tap*. Cautiously Arthur approaches the window. The noise begins to get louder. Pulling back the curtain he can see the outline of a raven on the ledge. He opens the window to shoo it away but it remains put.
He throws his hands out of the window and waves at the bird, it doesn't move.
"Away with you!" He moans, but the bird begins to pace, stopping occasionally to look back at him.
"You are nearly as annoying as Merlin is" he sighs, arms still waving frantically. He looks out over the courtyard to see that some of the peasants are waving back at him. Arthur's face is ashen - "great" he moans "this is just great - they probably think I've lost my mind"

"Don't worry Arthur - I know you lost it ages ago" Merlin chuckles deviously.
"Merlin?!" Arthur is taken by surprise and bashes his head off from the window frame - causing Merlin to stifle laughter. "That is no way to talk to your king"
"Certainly my lord... So erm, who are you talking to?"
"Nobody"
"Is that so?"
"Yes Merlin" Arthur growls. Merlin stands there expectantly. "Shouldn't you be doing something"

Merlin puts on what Arthur likes to call his "thinking face" - "probably" he drags out the word as if he struggles to gage it's meaning.
"What about my dinner?" Arthur questions
"Ah yes right dinner - of course!" Merlin walks off towards the door - clapping his hands together, causing the raven at the window to squawk. He turns on his heels "was that you?"
"No" Arthur argues,
"As if it was I can tell Gaius and he can check it out"
"Merlin"
"Remember the last time you started making animal noises? That really didn't end well... The ears and the..."
"Merlin"
"Yes Arthur?"
"Shut. Up."
"Yes Arthur...I'll, I'll go and get your dinner" he grins.

Arthur watches him leave the room and turns back to the raven who had dropped a note upon the ledge. Arthur picks it up and the bird flies off - "was that it?" Arthur tuts
He unravels the tiny note scanning it quickly the word "Elaine" scrawled at the end of it. He sighs unaware that Merlin is watching him through the crack in the door. He pops his head back through ,

"Arthur, are you sure you are alright?" Merlin asks genuinely concerned, "you just don't seem yourself Arthur gives him a solemn expression.
"It's just been quite a day Merlin - I'm fine"
Merlin nods knowing it'd be useless to push the matter further, he goes to collect the Kings meal leaving Arthur standing alone in his chambers, backlit by the setting sun.