As one door closes

Elaine is quick to run out of Arthur's room as he begins to chase her. She skilfully darts between his slightly open double doors and into the candle lit corridor to find Gwen.
"Hello Gwen!" She says cheerfully, holding Arthur's door closed, "You alright?" She asks.
Gwen looks up from Arthur's door and over to Elaine.
"I'm quite alright milady - I had actually come to see what all the fuss was about!"
Elaine laughs, "ah you heard"
"I doubt it was just me, I don't think Arthur is aware just how well his voice amplified in this castle"
Elaine nods in agreement, "try being in the same room".
Gwen stifles a small laugh and stares at Elaine with bewildered eyes willing her to explain what happened.
"Oh." Elaine says after a short while. struggling to hold the wooden doors closed. "Arthur did magic" she sniggers.

Gwen's face is awash with different emotions and Elaine desperately tries to decipher how she feels. Elaine tilts her head to the side as a startled hand flies up to Gwen's mouth.
"You don't mean?" She starts,
"No of course not Gwen, it's obvious isn't it? Arthur doesn't have the brain capacity!"
Gwen seemed to be hinting a sign of relief.
"I heard that!!" Arthur says, the wooden doors clatter together as he bashes them. Elaine jumps back and quickly grabs onto Gwen and starts to hurriedly walk down the passage way to her chambers. The doors finally burst open and a bemused Arthur sticks his head out, looking both ways to find Elaine, only to see the train of her dress disappear around a corner.
"Elaine!" He calls out, half shouting half laughing due to its absurdity. Elaine's laughter is his only form of reply. He sniggers, shakes his head and walks back into his chambers. Only for Merlin to skid in minutes later.

"You wouldn't happen to know why my door is charred would you?"
Arthur turns on his heels to face Merlin with narrowed eyes and then back to the chair Elaine was sitting on.

~~~

Elaine opens her door and let's Gwen into her chambers, both of them deep in conversation.
"I can't believe you fooled Arthur like that"
"Neither can I - I'm just glad it worked!"
"What do you mean by that?" Gwen asks.
"Well magic and I don't have the best track record but I do love it...apart from the death threats"
Gwen nods and her gaze falls do the floor. Magic was still proving a hard topic to talk about. Elaine watches her, and she goes over to Gwen.
"Thank you though for being so...open minded about it shall we say? I know you can never forgive Morgana for what she has done. I don't think she quite realises that she was the one who could have proved magic could be used for good - she could have changed it all. But I'll promise you this Gwen, I'll find a way to fix it."
Gwen looks up, frowning, "No... You shouldn't be the one to fix it. It isn't your fault -"
"That may be the case but she can't do it alone. Neither can Arthur. Maybe that's what I'm here for? To pick up the pieces?"

They both take a moment and watch the stars emerge from a paper thin cloud.

"Maybe" repeats Gwen.
"I'm sorry I was so foolish today" Elaine admits, "and not completely telling you what I was doing - I heard that caused you some issues too."
"It's nothing really..."
"Which means it was something" Elaine teases.
"I know it was foolish - my head is enough proof I think. As for the humour maybe it was too much but after the day I've had I needed it. Otherwise I'd go to bed and never wake up...maybe that's what I should have done"

Gwen nudges her gently.
"Don't say that, your humour is most welcomed as is your presence in Camelot. You needn't worry"
Elaine looks at her with sad eyes. Gwen can see something troubles her deeply but knows she won't be willing to share it. "Don't apologise"
Elaine lays her head down on the pillow gently. Gwen moves to the side of the bed, lighting the candles. She watches as the light from the tiny flake spills all over the room. Elaine's gaudy bandage catches her eye.
"You know I think I might ask Gaius to change that dressing for you"
Elaine nods, the silence between them now is palpable. Such a change in such a short space of time. Gwen couldn't tell if it was down to tiredness or her head. She shuffles out of the room quietly. Her eyes close and she plunges herself into the darkness, left alone with her mind.

The side of the bed sags and after what feels like an age - or rather five minutes - Elaine's eyes flutter open. Gaius sits to her side, pushing the thin drooping curtain to the side to get a better look. His rough to the touch yet fatherly hands tamper with her dressing. The Lady Lena stands beside him. She squints slightly due to the pain.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" She asks quietly.
"Gwen sent for me? Don't you remember?" Gaius explains. Elaine looks away for a fraction of a second connecting the dots, and nods as a reply. She cranes her neck to view Lena who stands next to Gaius, observing over his shoulder. They make eye contact and Lena could tell that she was expecting an answer.
"I just wanted to check that you were ok"
"I'm quite well thank you" Elaine replies.
"I'm not so sure" Gaius interrupts, "it's a good thing Lena brought back this valerian!" He says looking at Lena, "it looks like you are in need of its sedative qualities"
"I guess you could say that, but I do thank you Lena, impeccably good timing don't you think"
"Well what can I say?" She smiles, "I just know these things"
Gaius finishes wiping up the wound.
"I'll tell you something else I know"
Elaine's eyebrows raise slightly inferences to hear what was going to come next.
"You tricked Arthur"
A small smile creeps over both of their faces.
"How did you do that then?" Gaius asks
"Please don't tell me you are surprised Gaius," Elaine begins, "it's quite easy!"
"With magic of course!" Lena adds.
"Elaine!" Gaius somewhat scolds.
"Lena!" Elaine whines.
"You used magic" Gaius states reinforcing his disbelief.
"It was only a bit of fun and after the day I've had I needed it!"
"Well magic is banned its not like I have to remind you!"
"Gaius nothing happened" Elaine says looking up at him.
"I better not catch you doing it again"
"It's who I am" she argues, looking between Gaius and Lena. Her stare fixes on Lena as if in a bid to stop her from saying anything more.
"She's got a point Gaius, it's not like anything has happened. Think about it - when Morgana found out she had magic she raised an army of the dead, but Elaine her uses it to get Arthur's wine"
"Lena you aren't making this any better!"
"I was trying to defend you"
"By making me look like an alcoholic?"
Lena laughs and in time so does Gaius. He puts the finishing touches to her new dressing and checks over the grazes on her hands.

"You should be fine my dear, though you will need a good rest tonight, but this drink I've prepared for you should help you with that."
Lena hands her a vile and Gaius helps her to sit up.
"Now it probably won't taste very nice"
"Great" Elaine sighs.
"Don't worry you can just turn it into wine" Lena teases. Gaius looks back to her.
"Don't give her ideas!"
He turns back around to see Elaine grimacing at the sight of the vile and the aroma it produces.
"I promise you it'll help you rest" he urges.

She closes her eyes tight and downs it in one, shuddering as the cold mixture passes through her throat.
"You know for falling off from a horse you've done yourself a lot of damage!"
"It really knocked it out of me" she says quietly, the suggesting of tears beginning to brim in her eyes but she is quick to blink them away.

"I must retire" Lena announces, helping Gaius up. "I hope to be around in the morning to see you, should any council proceedings not take up any of our time"
Elaine nods, "thank you, I look forward to it" she smiles, "thank you Gaius"
"No problem my child, just look after yourself!"
"I'll try my best", she wriggles back down under the sheets and her eyes are quick to fall closed. She can her Gwen moving around in the room. Of her blowing out the candles and drawing the curtains. She can her the metal lock rattle as her wooden door is pulled closed.

The night takes over and silence is all that remains, but Elaine's mind is burning bright - the images from the crystal play over and over. The sound of dripping water consumes her conscience. Her eyes snap open smudged in a gold hue, as of someone clicked their fingers. She stares into the darkness, as the candles suddenly flicker into light. She sits bolt upright and stares at the table, her cloak draped over the end of it, knowing of what she had to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Authors note! If you are interested in finding out more about Lena than I deeply urge you to check out Kristina08G ! She has written a fabulous one shot where Lena and a Elaine meet which is cleverly intwined with this story!

On a personal note I'm extremely busy at this point in time and my internet is down at home so until it is fixed I won't be posting as regularly as Id like. I'll try and keep you posted!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~