Taliesin

Elaine closes her eyes as she is eaten by the darkness. Her body wracked with dread. She knows where she is she just doesn't want to believe it. She'd been taught to fear it from a young age and now it seemed there was to be no escaping it. She struggles to open her eyes, mostly out of fear of the sight that awaits her. She's still facing the entrance and much to her disappointment the entrance is no longer there.

She turns slowly on the spot, she dare not move. She's rooted to the spot but as she turns she is shrouded in a pale blue haze. It reminded her of the molten summer sky she wondered if she's ever see again - but she is not alone.

A grandfatherly looking man, with short snow white hair and beard stares at her with eyes so bright they match the haze that surrounds him.

"Taliesin" she says her voice almost a whisper that gets amplified by the lofty cavern.
"You've heard of me" the man replies.
"Of course I have - heard of you? I fear you"
"It is not me you fear" he interrupts.
"That doesn't matter - it's your face that I'll remember, it's you who is here right now doing this"
"Child..."
"I am not a child" she retorts.
"You are compared to me" he says with a sad chuckle that makes Elaine's skin crawl.

"Does it sadden you Taliesin to be so famous and yet so feared"
"No, as it is not me that is feared"
"But it is your name that is seared into us - this place - written in the legends and passed down through generations. This place is to be avoided at all costs, please I beg of you let me leave"

"I can't do that" he replies simply.
"You must be able to - I can't be here, I don't want to be here" she pleads desperately.
"There is something you must see first"
"No." Elaine refuses adamantly.
"Why are you so quick to judge" he asks, his piercing eyes stare her down though the gloom. Daring her to look away, to see the unseen.
"Because I know of this place, I've heard the stories, nothing good has ever come of this place, no one leaves sane, unaltered - can you honestly tell me of a time where something good happened as a result of this?"
"Only the crystals can tell you"
"They won't be telling me anything" she snaps.
"I wouldn't waste your energy arguing"

Elaine begins to pace like a caged animal, refusing to be drawn into the overwhelming glow of possibilities.
"Let me leave"
"Not until you know"
She goes to speak but she was quick to see his game, trying to get her to draw the knowledge out of him.

"I want to leave -"
"I can't -"
"I'd take the bandits and thieves over this any day"
"The crystals asked for you"
"Oh do they talk now?" She growls, "tell me Taliesin, why can't I live my life - have I not had enough heartache in my life? Have I not been through enough! Why must I ensure a happy ending for some other poor soul when I get denied my own?!"
"Only the crystals can tell you"
"Yeah I bet you tell that to every poor fool you trap here" she spits.
"You must look into the crystals they tell of futures not yet passed".
"I know what they do Taliesin!" She roars turning on him. His name echoes throughout the cave, ringing on and on.
"Then you must know that the future is unsafe"
"Nothing is ever safe - find someone else - I'm not doing your dirty work - I want a life, I want to be happy and I was until I was here!"
"There is no one else!"
"That I don't believe" she retorts
"Only you can stop the turmoil that is to come"
"Tell me Taliesin have you ever felt the wrath of a high priestess? Because you might find out quite soon"
"Do not threaten me child" he states calmly as if she posed no threat at all. Her fists in a constant state of clenching and relaxation. She was doing her best to hold in her fury.
"I will blast my way out of here Taliesin" she warns.
"You have no power here - stop trying to be headstrong like Morgana"
"Do. Not. Mention. Her." She growls lowering her head, still pacing.
"Only you can stop what is to follow, talk to -"
"They don't listen, not to me, not to anyone"
"You are the only -"
"Enough" she yells as she sends a hand out to strike him.

An almighty force hits Elaine as it reflects back upon herself, letting out a shrill scream. She is sent flying and skids across the dirty, crystals littered floor. The crystal shards dig into her back and claw at her clothing. A crimson trail seeps from her scalp across her face. Her body relaxes as she looks up into Taliesin's face who seemed to have effortlessly appeared above her.

"You were wrong to fight it, the crystals asked for you. There is no other way Elaine"
She shudders upon hearing her name.
"I won't do it" she breathes her voice weak but still carries the air of defiance about it.
"I'm afraid you have no choice child this was always meant to be. You said it yourself, you are merely picking up the pieces and if you don't fix this then the consequences will affect everyone. You know what you must do"
"No I,..I don't"
"Then look" he says calmly.

Her neck grows tired and she tilts her head to the slide. Slowly giving in, her eyes latch onto the crystal that protrudes from the ground beside her. Her glassy eyes mirror the flickering broken images the crystal plays over and over again.

"I am sorry it has to be this way" Taliesin says quietly, shoving a leather pouch into her hands as her world turns black. "If you don't succeed we are all but lost, only you can cleanse and wash away all that is wrong " and with that she feels herself being whisked away, like leaves in a breeze.