Caught Out

"Come on you two! Rise and shine, plenty of work to do today" Gaius' fatherly tone seeps through the cracks in the door.

Elaine breaks her eye contact with Merlin, and looks down as she begins to slide off the thin bed as if coming over all shy. A look he was certain he had seen Morgana do before when she warned him about something. A topic his mind wouldn't let him ponder over. Elaine's ragged dress falls limply to her feet, and with a small amount of effort she drags herself over to the door, opening it for Merlin who stoops down into the main chamber. Not saying a word.

They spread out into the Gaius' room and greet him warmly.
"Morning Gaius" Elaine smiles slowly allowing herself to settle into her new environment. Everything seemed so much larger and grandeur than she was used to.
"Morning Elaine" Gaius replied cheerily "I trust you slept well"
"Indeed I did, I must thank you and Merlin for your hospitality - I owe you a great debt"
"No problem at all" Merlin smiles, pulling his jacket on and heading back to his room - realising he had forgotten his trusty neckerchief. He heads up the rickety stairs and moves over to the drawers, passing the chalice as he goes. It's water still showing signs of a silvery meniscus, the chalice falls due to the force of the drawers being flung open and the water cascades down the sides. Merlin can't help but feel drawn to it - noticing that held within the running water the events from the day before begin to replay, Elaine, Morgana, Arthur - the three Pendragons united at last only to battle it out. Elaine was speaking the truth. Merlin's eyes flash gold and in an instant the trickling water vanishes. He quickly returns to the others, noticing that he was captured in Elaine's wandering gaze.

"Your room Gaius, I think it's wonderful!" She says as she glides around the room admiring it's quirky proportions, unique objects and potion filled shelves. Every surface was bursting with some form of appliance.
"Years of hoarding, collecting and learning my dear" he winks to her, whilst bringing her over a bowl of porridge. She accepts the meal graciously, "thank you".
For a moment Elaine allowed herself to relax, that was until Arthur came barging in rambling about how useless his servant was.

"MERLIN?!" Arthur rants, before Gaius' door is threw open - he stops dead in his tracks, his words fade away, Elaine is standing in the middle of the room equally as shocked. Somehow in the thick of it all she had managed to forget this was also Arthurs residence. Her shoulders raise, caught by surprise like a rabbit being stared down by a hound. She turns away slightly in a sorry attempt to hide herself, unsure of what to do. Merlin looks to her, knowing how helpless she feels, knowing that she has said everything that needed to be said - should couldn't explain herself any more there was no need, but when he looked to Arthur he couldn't quite decipher what was going on in his mind.
"Elaine" he says sternly. She turns back to look at him, partially shielded by Gaius, "Arthur" she whispers.
"What are you doing here?"
"Arthur, I'm sorry..."
"I invited her" Gaius steps in the air of defiance about him, Elaine looks at him in disbelief. She didn't want him to take the fall.
"That's not what I meant" he growled
"I'm afraid I don't quite understand you Sire" Gaius intervenes
"If she was here why was I not informed?"
"I arrived late last night" she mumbles
He steps forward confidently towards a ridged Elaine. He takes in her torn dress and bloodied and bruised temple.
"Did she do this to you?" He goes to brush his hand over it but Elaine turns away weary of the pain that might follow.
"She was angry"
"That's not an excuse" he breathes, Elaine looks into his sky blue eyes, they masked so much hurt, so much pain.

Arthur turns on his heels - decision made.
"Right well she can't stay here"
Elaine's shoulders seem to hit the floor - spirit crushed - she really did have nowhere else to go.