The Note

Arthur sits alone in his chambers at his table letting his dinner go cold. His head propped up in his hand, staring wistfully into a note in his other hand. The very note that he received not an hour and half earlier, and yet he keeps it at arms length, letting it fumble between his fingers. Occasionally letting the words reveal themselves as the pieces of parchment rub together. Words such as "sorry", "afraid", "Morgana", "sister", "Elaine".

He puts the paper down on the table, running his hand through his golden hair. Was it always going to come to this? Arthur sighs and stares into the fire, knowing that somehow he will have to find a way to move on - though he didn't know how. He had learnt so much today. Where his sister Morgana had been hiding. That she in fact dwelled with yet another surprise sibling he had no notion of. Yet another person he trusted had lied to him, kept things secret from him - magic of all things. He had no idea how to act, what was he to do? Let them be? Or protect his kingdom from their constant threat - he had seen their power today he couldn't let them be could he? He holds his face in his hand.

"Arthur?"
He looks up, Merlin is standing in the doorway, "is all well?"
"I'm fine Merlin" he nods at his servant and Merlin slowly inches forward.
"Not a fan of Audery's cooking tonight sire?"
"It wasn't her finest" he replies but his voice lacks the life it once held, but he appreciates Merlin's small talk.
"Gaius and I agree with you on that one" he gives a small smile but Arthur isn't quick to return it.
"Are you ready to retire now milord?" Merlin asks meekly noting the piece of parchment on the table, his aim to keep Arthur unsuspecting for his desire to know what ails him.
Arthur gets up gradually, "Yes I do think it is about time" he agrees.
"Very well" Merlin strides over and removes Arthur's jacket and goes to hang it up. He busies himself with tidying the room, allowing himself to take brief glances at the note.

The note reads - "Arthur,
I'm not sure how much you heard whilst you were at the door - but I couldn't let you leave without knowing. What I did I did not do lightly but I had no choice, and as much as I regret doing so I know you'd be dead if it wasn't for me..."

Merlin's eyes widen somewhat - someone else was protecting Arthurs life? He was hit by a small flurry of emotions - could the sense of rivalry be one of them? No... If anything he should be thankful, he looks to Arthur removing his shirt, and hands it to Merlin.
"Would you like me to hang that up for you?" He asks
"No thank you Merlin, you can add that to your washing pile" Arthur tries to put on a smile but it lacks the energy Merlin is used to - especially when it came to giving him jobs to do.
"Very well sire" he says looking down at the note again.

"I'm just sorry I wasn't more honest with you before about Morgana and my powers but I could never find the right way to tell you, I'm sorry. I was just afraid of what you might of done - only now I know how much more destructive not saying them beforehand now seem."

Arthur throws back the sheets on the bed and sits down, letting Merlin continue busying himself around the room. Every so often glancing down at the table.

" It wasn't meant to be like this. And as for today's revelations - they come as much as a shock to me as they do to you. I had no idea until today - I swear it. I only hope you can forgive me for not being more honest with you.
Your sister,
Elaine."

Merlin can't believe his eyes, if the note were to hold an element of truth to it - it'd certainly explain why Arthur seemed so distraught. Merlin cast his mind back to when Arthur found out about Morgana being his sister, granted the circumstances weren't great, but it certainly hit him hard. He had to tell Gaius.

He slips out of Arthurs chambers with ease and hurries down towards Gaius' only to find someone was already in there.