Costumes to hide who you are

Edwards P.O.V.

This can't be; but the satellite photos didn't lie. Liore was in ruins, and it was all my fault. Rose! What happened to her? I hope she's alright. I mean, even though she was annoying, she helped my alchemist job kick off.

"What's that?" Scarlett pointed to the lines sloppily drawn around the city. "Is that..?"

"A Grand Arcanum Transmutation Circle." I gritted my teeth. Scar was using the exact same circle I used at the fifth laboratory!

"Who would do this?" Al cried out, pounding his hands into the table in anger.

"Scar." I replied with disgust. "He's the only one that could even physically be able to this."

"Do we have any motive? Why he would do this?" Scarlett asked, twirling her pocket watch in her hands. It was a nervous habit of hers that I've seen her do along the way. I clasped my hand over hers to calm it, and also, we don't want the annoying noise the watch makes as its twirled.

"Not long after the priest was showed as a fake, he came back, and the town was divided amongst themselves." Mustang sighed, and I hung my head low. I was the one that put the place in danger. He was a false priest! What was I supposed to do, let them believe in a man that truly did nothing. "Edward," I looked up at the Colonel.

"I need a word with you."

Scarlett's P.O.V.

Ed left to talk to Roy alone, leaving Al and I alone with the state. I heard Archer chuckle from his end of the table, and everyone's attention turned to him.

"It's been a long time since I saw you, Scarlett." He sharply looked up at me through his narrowed eyes; a grin on his face. Al tensed and clashed his armor at the movement. I said nothing, but gave the asshole a glare that could kill.

"Now what's that face for? Are you still angry?" He pursed his lips, taking a sip from his cup.

"You know I'll always be pissed at you." I said with malice. Riza gave me a confused look, but did not dare to ask. with that, I stood up from my seat and left with a stomp on my step. He's a flipping pedophile, that one. Couldn't even stop looking at me.

"Scarlett! Wait up!" Al ran up next to me where he stopped to apologize once again to Marta who was still hidden away in his armor.

"I'd be careful, Marta." I warned her, sliding my hands into my pockets cooly. "You're a wanted woman by the state, and here you are in a headquarters, so be on your guard."

"No problem, and thanks." She nodded, ducking back down into Alphonse's armor. Al pointed to Ed who was walking toward us kinda forlornly, but that seemed to extinguish once his eyes laid onto us.

"Guys," he addressed the three of us. "We're going to split up."

"What?" I asked in shock.

"Scarlett and I are going to sneak in and confront Scarl while Marta and Al stay here under Archer's eye. He doesn't trust us-" his eyes flashed to me for a second, and modified the sentence.

"Well, he doesn't trust Al and I."

Wow, that pedo has the nerve to trust me over... IMMA MAKE HIM PAY!! He'll rue the day he thought he could trust me. And payback will be sweet. >:)
He gave me a look like he expected me to do something, which I wasn't. Not even listening. I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Was I supposed to do something?" I asked innocently.

"I thought you wouldn't allow this mission due to me being in serious danger." He assumed, shrugging his shoulders as if to let it go.

"For the millionth time," I sighed and rubbed my temple as I placed my other hand at my hip, "I am a flipping bodyguard. Not your mommy." Ed smirked.

"Not true. I thought you'd be concerned considering that you're our friend." I rolled my eyes and a smile found its way into my lips. "Your funeral. not mine." I chuckled, sending him a high five.

"I hope to god that's not an innuendo." He groaned sarcastically, but it pulled a laugh out of all of us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ready?" I stepped out of the shadows and showed my disguise off to Ed. I had braided my red hair back in a similar way as Edward usually did, and a cane in hand as I pretended to heavily rely on it for sight. My clothes consisted of a simple off white laced up shirt with baggy pants. Those were tucked lazily into my high heeled boots.

"Wow.." I saw Ed's face dust a bright pink and look away under his own dyed green hair.

"Wow yourself. Damn, you look like a woman." I noted, laughing softly as it was true with his hair down and cascading past his shoulders. Major Armstrong is the last person to say goodbye before we move out, neither giving us a smile or handshake.

"Archer's suggestion: leave your pocket watches here to be upgraded." He suggested, holding a large hand out.

"Ah, Major, I didn't see you there." Ed smiled slightly and gave the watch to him. "You're right; it would be a dead giveaway." Not if we keep it in our pocket. It's a simple solution, and I don't trust Archer. Like, AT ALL. He turned to me, but I shook my head.

"I'm fine." I assured him, and he nodded. We turned to the desert before us, and taking my arm, Edward pretended to guide me to Liore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I swear I've see you before." the bartender squinted and looked a bit harder at Ed, his mustache twitching upward in his tanned face. I moved my hand across the table out to him.

"You must be mistaken." I smiled happily, trying to pretend I didn't know what this was. Ed could barely speak to the people he betrayed- unintentionally, but still; the feeling oozed off him so badly I could feel it.

"You see, he is my cousin." I explained quickly. "We were planning in immigrating to The country east of here, Xing.

"We decided to stop here before we cross the desert." He nodded and filled my drink once more.

"I'm sorry for the loss of your sight, mam." He changed the topic easily, giving me a sad smile. I patted the table in search of my drink, and I felt Edward take my hand and lead it to the cool surface.

"That's quite alright. Wasn't your fault." I had to act the part; which was quite hard considering I couldn't avoid eye contact. Making me uncomfortable.

"Look! There she is!" A crowd left only one path for woman in white to walk like snails.

"You two are lucky for tonight." The bartender stated, clasping his hands together in a prayer. Yeah, I'm not really religious after my own father, Ya know, tried to use me to bring back my mother. I do believe in Equivalent Exchange though.

"You get to see the Holy Mother." On the corner of my eye, I could see Ed's grow wide and fear washed over them.

"It can't be...

"Rose?"

_______________

Yeah, kinda one of those filler chapters, but. Those are what build the cement for the story. You never want a story with too much action, yet too little will stop a person from reading.

Comment

Like

Fallah!!

~ Saturnthehero.