Knocking On Truth's Door To See On The Other Side

~such a sad song, is it not?~
Edward's P.O.V.

I'm kind of concerned with Scarlett coming along. I mean, I did promise to protect her, but I can't say for sure that I'll win against the homunculi.

"Come on Ed! You're going as slow as a warthog's ass!" I heard Scarlett call to me. Her excitement was so easy to see, it was amusing. I couldn't help but laugh as she raced back to me and began pull on my arm. Yet at the same time, I wished she would slow her pace so we could talk.

We've never really don't that; simply talk.

"You know, I-" I cut myself off and felt heat rise to my cheeks. What should I do?! What if I never have the chance to say this to her again?! And if we somehow make it through, it's gonna be so awkward!! AH! CHOOSE DAMMIT!! AWKWARD FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE? OR CONFESS BEFORE ITS TOO LATE??

"..D? Eddy? Edwardo? Edwardah?" Scarlett was in front of my face, her brown eyes staring. "I know what?"

"Huh? IM FINE I SWEAR!" The words tumbled out of my mouth before I could even compose myself. She laughed a small laugh before pulling me along once again. Shit! We're getting close to the end of the cave!

"Scarlett! I-" I stopped again, and she turned to look at me. Taking a gulp of air to suppress the color in my cheeks,

"E-Equivalent E-E-Exchange. I'll protect y-you for the rest of my life, if you give me the rest o-of yours." I shakily said. Damn I must sound like a little kid.

And she chuckled, as I looked at her smiling face.

"Equivalent Exchange. If you don't die today, I'll give it to you free of charge." She said proudly with a gleam in her smile. Wow. That seemed easier than I thought; since she could've just said that I must be getting some mental problem from being short.(which I'm not, so don't even try. I'll rip off your legs so you can use them as paddles if you say otherwise.) This was truly different from the Scarlett Reems I had met back in Mustang's office. Where this one is much softer with her words and actions.

I liked her no matter what. I don't think I can avoid it any longer.

Much more than Winry; so Al can go an marry her, because I've found someone who adapts to my anger and personality. I'll fight the world to keep her from crying, because she sounded like a dying animal when she cried. But I still loved that about her. We finally reached the end of the dark tunnel and there was a whole town.

The city that disappeared almost fifty years ago. This was also involved with making a Philosopher's stone, all of the people were sacrificed, then the city was buried deep beneath the earth to keep it a secret. Everything seemed quiet. Too quiet.

"Ed, there's lights coming from that building over there." Scarlett nudged me to turn my direction to the source. A large building was alight with a golden light.

So we did the only thing is alchemists know best; investigate even though it will mean certain death.

Holding Scarlett's hand, I guided the two of us through the labyrinth of sidewalks to our destination. Music wafted into my ears, and there, in the middle of a ballroom floor, was Rose dancing alone.

-wait. WHAT?! She smiled at me, and drew closer.

"Rose?! What's happening? Why are you here?" I tried to ask her questions, but she simply kept pulling me to the dance floor.

"I think she wants to do the Uptown Funk, Edward." Scarlett snickered behind me, and I admit, that made me laugh. There was the click clack of heels on the floor, and I certainly knew it was another woman other than the two in front of me.