The past has a way of catching up

Edward's P.O.V.

"What have you done to your arm now?" Pinako sighed, calling Winry from her workbench. The dog, Den, came bounding up to me. I smiled at Al and Scarlett began to introduce herself to Pinako when a wrench came whizzing at my head. I fell to the ground.

"You idiot!!" Winry yelled from the balcony atop the house. "No phone call, no letter, what the hell!?" Scarlett laughed as I sat up.

"Well SORRY! I've been traveling a lot and couldn't get around to doing it gearhead!" I yelled back.

"You've gotten smaller." Pinako comments. And of course that starts our usual fights- where did Armstrong's shirt go?

"Edward Elric. Do not speak to your elders with such disrespect." Major flexed his muscles. I ignored whatever he said next and looked around for Scarlett, only to find her enamored by Den as she was tackled and licked by the dog.

"Good pupper." She cooed, petting his fur. "Best pupper."

"Who is this guy, why does he not have a shirt, and he really doesn't get the joke, does he?" Pinako raised her voice to grab my attention.

"Alex Louis Armstrong. Humbly at your service." He introduced, holding his hand out to the flabbergasted Pinako.

"Flattered. I'm Pinako Rockbell." we all walked inside where I laid out the remains of my right arm. Winry screamed.

"What did you do to my automail?! I put my heart and soul into it!!" She growled at me.

"It's not my fault! It fell apart so easily." I defended myself.

"On the other hand, literally, you walked right up to a murderer who took down a highly skilled alchemist in five minutes." Scarlett snickered, having gotten off the ground and was now leaning on the wall. I glared at her. She was no help at all, why did we have to have her for our bodyguard?

"You WHAT!?!?!" Winry screeched. We all covered our ears except for Scarlett, who was laughing her ass off. After an hour of Winry yelling at me, things finally calmed down.

"And I need this to be a rush order. We've got to get back to Central." I added. On top of my arm getting fixed, my leg needed to be adjusted. See?? I did get taller! For now, I have to wear a spare leg.

"That's three all nighters." Winry sighed. Picking up the arm and leg, she started upstairs.

"By the way, if you have time, I'll pay you extra if you can spare me an A-340 screw." Scarlett called after her. After all my preaching lessons on automail, isn't that a hard screw to find? I can't remember.

~*~

The next morning, I got up early and picked a few flowers. I was going to see my mother's grave, since I haven't been there in four years. Den decided to come along, barking wildly at me as I opened the door. I waved goodbye to Al, who was out on the lawn watching the sunrise rise higher into the awakening sky. I walked down the familiar road, passing valleys filled with green crops.

"Hey! it's Ed!" Frank waved to me from his field. I waved back. "What brings you here?" He asked, walking closer to the dirt path. His son, Darius in his heels.

"My arm." I pointed to my shoulder which was covered by my red jacket. "How are you guys?"

"Great! This year's been a good harvest. I see you haven't gotten much taller in these four years." Darius jokes. I start yelling about how I've grown some and how I'm not a short pipsqueak. We then say goodbye and I return on my way. I pass through town and a man comes stumbling out of the bar. I stare at him for a moment before starting towards the cemetery once more, but he stopped me. I looked at him more closely. His hair was a fiery red like Scarlett's, but his eyes were a golden color, and very cold.