Chapter 23

Misty

"I'm being real though Aug, I don't really want to do anything for my birthday."

"But why not?"

"I don't really celebrate my birthday like that. All I do is go to work, come home and have cake with my grandmother. I would hope myother would call but instead my aunt would and just be contented with that."

"Okay sweetface and I understand that,  but you got a man and friends now who want to celebrate with you."

"August." I whined.

"Please baybeh. This our first birthday of many together so let's just celebrate."

"If we are doing anything, I just want an intimate dinner okay. No party! Just my loved ones."

"Gotcha."

"Thank you. Now what about you, what you doing for yours?"

"I wanna go somewhere but it depends on my girls schedule."

"Oh, well I'll check and let you know."

"Thank you."

It was mid August and both Aug and I've been busy. More and more I was getting offers for dance pieces and I was happy about that. Life at the center was great too, both my schedules worked great.

"I wish you were here." I sighed as he looked at me.

"Me too love but ya know how it be for me round this time."

"I know. Just expressing myself."

"Mhmm, but let me ask you something?"

"Anything?"

"Why yeen filled out then papers for Juliard?"

"Huh?"

"I'd seen them last time I came by and they looked like they were crumpled."

"That's because I had thrown them away. My grandma probably found them."

"What you do scared about baybeh? Why yeen applied?"

"I can't take another rejection." I admitted.

"What you mean?"

"I've applied to Juliard and two other dance schools here I'm New York every year since I was seventeen and each year I received a letter saying I didn't get in. I'm tired babe."

"I know how it be babe, but don't give up. I know ya got the potential and you know it."

"I know but it just hurts to be honest. Like my dream is to go to Juliard, dance, be amazing, get signed with the American Ballet Theater and become a principal dancer and each year I can't ever get to the first step."

"Since we been met, shit been changing for you. A nigga been ya lucky charm so I'm gonna need ya ta fill out them forms and drop them in."

"I really don't want to though." I sighed.

"Either ya do it or we end our relationship."

"Why?"

"Ion want no girl who don't believe in herself to reach for what she want in life. I'm not bout to have that negative energy around me."

"You're being serious right now?"

"Like a heart attack, so what's it going to be."