Chapter 26

Jamal

Making my way up to Misty's apartment, I hoped that she was just sleeping. For August to have called me this raise some concerns.

We weren't cool on that level because he knew I was her ex, but we respected each other because he understood that we were just friends and how she helps with my daughter.

Knocking on the door, I waited for a bit till I heard the locked click and the door opened.

"Mrs. Jennifer, good night. How have you been?"

"Mmm. Jamal." I she looked at me with her usual attitude. "I'm good. How can I help you?"

"You're not going to let that go huh?" I laughed a bit.

Misty's aunt was like a mother to her. Though she wasn't physically there, she tried her best to be there for her so when she found out about us breaking up, she wasn't and hasn't been to pleased with me.

Taking a deep breath, she exhaled and her demeanor softened.

"Because my mother and my niece can forgive you and move on, I'll do the same. How what's up?"

"Is Misty home?"

"No she isn't actually and it is a bit late now that you've asked."

"Shit."

"What?"

"Her boyfriend called me saying she not answering her phone." I sighed.

"Her boyfriend? Y'all good like that."

"We have a common ground." I laughed a little.

"Misty huh?"

"Yeah." I nodded as I pressed her number.

Putting the phone by my ear, it just rang till voicemail recording came up.

"Nothing?" She asked.

"Yeah." I sighed.

"This isn't like her though. You think k something happened?"

"I don't want to think that but, I'll be back, don't worry."

"Okay."

Leaving, I jogged down the stairs as quick as I could. As I was about to head into the courtyard, I had seen Sarah getting out of her car.

"Hey." She called me.

"She isn't home." I said as I approached her.

"That's why I came. I called Aug saying I wasn't getting on to her." She said putting her phone to her ear.

"He called me asking to check."

"This is not like Misty." She sighed. "Now he isn't answering his phone."

"What time did she leave from by you?"

"She left around nine. I told her that I would give her a lift but she said she didn't want to put me out of my way even though I kept insisting, now look at this."

You could just see the worry all over her face.

"I shouldn't have left her. I should have demanded that I dropped her home." She went back to her phone.

Knowing how Misty was, what she said, I did believe. It's the same she would do to me. Looking up the street, I knew she would have taken the bus. Our stop was the last stop so anything could have happened.

"I'll be back." I told her as she stood there on the phone.

Walking to the direction of the bus stop, I just felt like if something was pulling me that way. Keeping my eyes and ears open, I just overserved everything, till I came up to between to buildings.