𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢.

| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ |

Hazel stood in the Cullen lounge room, her fingers twisting together on her lap as her eyes stayed fixed to the news on their television. The reporter was speaking about Seattle, and the various 'mysterious' deaths occurring in the area. She looked to her right, where Emmett, Carlisle and Jasper had their golden irises glued to the screen as well. Hazel swallowed, turning her green eyes to the TV.

"Seattle is in a state of terror," the blonde reporter spoke. She stood in front of police cars' flashing lights as the police worked at the crime scene. "Police are baffled by the escalating number of murders and disappearances. Theories range from a vicious new gang to a wildly active serial killer. Reporting live..."

"It's getting worse," Carlisle commented as soon as Edward and Bella walked into the room, switching off the television before the woman had a chance to finish. "We're going to have to do something." He set the remote on the table, his eyebrows furrowed. Hazel had never seen the doctor appear so worried.

"It takes more than one of our kind to cause the damage they're reporting," Jasper informed the small group in the room. His expression was blank, but Hazel noticed something she couldn't quite pinpoint hiding behind his eyes. "Quite a few more. And they're undisciplined, conspicuous."

"It's newborns," Edward re[lied without missing a beat. Everyone turned his way. Hazel swallowed, twisting her shaking hands together anxiously.

"What, like new vampires?" Bella queried.

"The first few months after the change," Edward answered.

"That's when we're at our most uncontrollable. Vicious." He paused for half a second. "Insane with thirst." Hazel looked his way, fighting the urge to grab his hand.

"Something for you girls to look forward to," Emmett smirked, his gaze moving from Bella to Hazel and back again. Jasper looked over at his adoptive brother, his cold fingers finding Hazel's hand at the same time, then interlocked his fingers with hers.

"No one's trained these newborns," Jasper spoke up, switching his gaze to Carlisle, "but this isn't random."

"Someone's creating an army," Carlisle concluded.

Emmett stood from where he sat on the edge of the sofa and jumped to the floor. "Now we're definitely going to Seattle."

"An army of vampires," Bella uttered the words with disbelief as she stared at Jasper for answers.

"And they've been created to fight someone," Jasper confirmed. Hazelswallowed nervously, her eyes flisking to the floor as uncertainty filled her up.

"We're the only clan even close to Seattle," Edward added. Hazel and Bella looked up at him, both increasingly worried about the situation.

"Regardless of why they were made if we don't put a stop to them, the Volturi will," Carlisle informed the five. He averted his gaze. "I'm surprised they've let it go on this long," he thought out loud.

"Maybe they're behind it," Edward concluded. "In Italy, I read Aro's mind. He wants me and Alice to join him." Jasper clenched his jaw in anger. "He knows we'll never choose him as long as our family's still alive."

At the mention of the female's name, Jasper and Hazel sat up straight, sharing a peek with each other before they turned to Edward again. Hazel knew for certain she wouldn't let the Velocity -- or whatever they were called, she couldn't care less -- touch a single hair on Alice's head. And she was sure the same thing went for Jasper. The couple squeezed each other's hand comfortingly.

"An army could solve that for him," Jasper iterated, a bitter edge to his words. Hazel bared her teeth, her tolerance for the vampiric 'kings' lessening with each second.

With a glance at Bella, Hazel could tell she caught the tone in Jasper's words. The girl's shared a quick look before Hazel averted her line of sight somewhere else and bit her lip. Hazel hated it. Her thoughts trailed to Anthony, his accident and the proof that pointed to a vampire, evidence only Hazel could connect. She didn't want Anthony or her mother injured again. Hazel huffed, a scowl etched onto her lips.

By the time Hazel arrived home, night had fallen. Jasper escorted her to her door and kept watch of their surroundings before pressing a farewell kiss to her cheek. Hazel smiled at him, gently squeezing her fingers before entering her home. She locked the door with a sigh. The stress seemed to lift from her shoulders the moment Hazel smelled her mother's infamous homemade carbonara. A wave of nostalgia washed over Hazel as she stepped closer to the kitchen. Her mother was wiping up the two now-clean dishes before stacking them and stepping away from the sink to place them in their spots. Her eyes flicked up to her daughter, and she jumped, narrowing her eyes at the teenager.

"You know not to creep up on me," her mother signed once she'd put away the bowls.  She pointed behind her, then looked back at her daughter. "I have your dinner over here. I just took it out of the microwave for you."

"Thanks."

Hazel grinned, stepping around the shorter woman. She grabbed the bowl filled to the brim and the fork with it, smiling at the curls of transparent steam rising from the sauce. She stabbed her fork into the carbonara before a thought shoved its way into her head. She waved her hands to gain her mother's attention, who gazed at her quizzically. Hazel placed down the meal without touching it and peered down at her mother.

"Do you know my parents?" Hazel signed. Her mother paused, her face hardening.

"Why do you ask?" The older woman signed stiffly. Hazel could tell the woman was tense about the subject.

Knows something.

"I just want to know," Hazel replied, grimacing at the voice. "You have to know something, don't you."

"You're not planning on looking for them," Her mother narrowed her eyes, "are you?"

"Of course not," Hazel reassured her. She innocently raised her arms. "I feel ready to speak about them, mum. You always said I could ask when I was ready."

Hazel's mother sighed and nodded. "Alright," she signed. "But I'll have to show you." She beckoned her daughter to follow her, and, cautious about what was going to occur, Hazel slowly trailed after her mother.

AUTHOR'S NOTE 

hey, yeah, don't worry. you'll get the long-awaited answer next chapter. and no, it's not hades.

but anyway, i hope you wonderful humans are doing well. i hope your drinking some water each day and having snacks. just letting you know I'm proud of you, and i think you're absolutely incredible.

now is time to say farewell. I'll see you next time, loves. bye! :)