𝐢𝐢𝐢.

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

TRAINING WITH ROSALIE was an activity Hazel found surprisingly enjoyable. She thought that, maybe, it was because the two spent the least amount of time together out of most people Hazel knew. Rosalie was easy to talk to, and the pair often would have normal conversations during their time together.

The thing about Rosalie that only slightly surprised Hazel was how soft and caring Rosalie really was. The woman clearly disliked humans knowing their secret. What Hazel had found out was that Rosalie was envious of humans. According to the blonde, humans walked around, unaware and naive, which was something she sorely missed. She missed the feeling of blood pumping in her veins. Hazel had never asked for Rosalie's full story, but she guessed the woman was turned unwillingly.

"Alice told me that you told her you are adopted," Rosalie spoke one afternoon during their break. "That makes finding your background difficult. Can I ask when you found out?"

Hazel nodded. "I was fourteen. There was something, I can't remember what, where they needed my birth certificate." Hazel took a gulp of her water. "My mom told me where it was. I was looking in the drawer when I saw this strange slip. I was a curious child so I pulled it out."

"Let me guess. It was the adoption certificate." Hazel nodded again with a laugh.

"I was so confused," she continued. "I ran to my mom and demanded an explanation. She told me everything." Hazel sighed. "I was adopted when I was about ten months old, I think."

"Do you know anything about your time before your adopted mom came along?" Rosalie inquired.

"My real mom died giving birth to me," Hazel averted her eyes to the grass. She couldn't help but pluck out a few green blades. "My dad couldn't handle the stress of looking after me, so he did the only thing he thought was good for me. I dot blame him. I'm not mad."

"You're never mad," Rosalie noted. "You never blame anyone for anything. How can you not?"

Hazel shrugged. "I believe everyone's good until evidence saying otherwise comes up. It's like that saying. Um..." She clicked her fingers as she tried to recall the phrase.

"Innocent until proven guilty?" Rosalie spoke. Hazel clicked her fingers at the blonde.

"Yes! Thank you." She chuckled. "Yes. Innocent until proven guilty." Hazel looked to the sky then back to the blonde. "You're always frowning."

Rosalie's frown faltered. She turned away. "Guess you and I are true opposites."

"Opposites usually stick together," Hazel smiled. "Come on, Frowny, we gotta train."

"Okay, Happy," Rosalie replied.

The two girls stood from their spot on the grass and took their original places. Hazel planted her feet firmly as Rosalie headed to one of the trees. The blonde leaned against it, having Hazel.

"How many times do I have to tell you–" Hazel began.

"Just shoot the tree!" Rosalie cut her off.

Hazel shook her head. She held her hands in front of her stomach, shutting her eyes tightly. She pictured the energy flowing from her shoulders to her palms. She imagined it forming a tight, blue ball between her palms. Her green eyes opened, and in the space between her hands was a tight, blue ball of energy. She grinned, looking up at the tree Rosalie leaned against.

"Hurry up!" Rosalie shouted.

Hazel glared at the vampire. She brought the ball up to her chest, her arms trembling slightly from the force. Using her entire body and power, Hazel pushed the blue ball of energy away from her chest, sending it directly to the tree. She watched as it flew through the air at a rapid speed. Rosalie's eyes widened a fraction as it grew closer and ran to the spot beside Hazel. Together they watched as the ball collided with the tree, successfully burning a hole through it.

"Holy crap," Hazel cursed her jaw dropping. "I-I did it. I did it!" The realization of her accomplishment hitting her after a moment. She turned to the blonde girl beside her.

"Holy shit," Rosalie breathed. She turned to Hazel. "You did it."

"And I'm not bleeding!" Hazel cheered after wiping her face for any blood. "I did it!"

Maybe her excitement clouded her thoughts, or maybe it was just what she believed was a good reaction, but Hazel couldn't hold back from hugging Rosalie. The girl stumbled back from the action but quickly found her footing again. She hesitated for a moment. Hugging Hazel was something she hadn't done before. As quickly as it began, the act was over.

"I'm gonna go tell the others!" Hazel grinned, already running towards the large home. Rosalie watched after her, a small smile of pride on her face.

Hazel ran inside, quickly locating Esme reading a book on the couch. At Hazel's look of joy, she raised a brow. The teen quickly recalled what happened and Esme immediately got up and hugged her in happiness. Then she directed the girl to where Jasper and Alice were.

"Guys, guys, guys, guys!" Hazel panted as she ran into Alice's room. The two turned to her from where they stood near an easel. "Guess what!" He puffed.

"What?" Alice laughed, enjoying watching the human catch her breath.

"I... I did... It. I did it." The two looked at her in shock. Their eyes widened, but their mouths curled into grins.

"Congratulations!" Alice clapped, heading over and hugging Hazel. Jasper came up and squeezed her hand.

Hazel, excited and slightly light-headed, pressed her lips to Alice's. The female vampire was only slightly caught off guard. Hazel turned and kissed Jasper next. She was buzzing with elation, and Jasper was overcome with it the moment their lips came in contact.

Hazel broke away and let out a deep breath. She looked between the two and nodded, satisfied.

"I don't know what I'd do without you," Hazel sighed.

"Suffer miserably," Alice shrugged. "I'm kidding. You'd just go insane." Hazel rolled her eyes but pressed another kiss to the lips of both of the vampires.

"Probably."