𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐱.

| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰᴏᴜʀᴛʏ |

"What?" Bella blinked. "That's ridiculous."

"No, it's not," Rosalie shot back. "You have a choice. I didn't. None of us did. But you do, and you're choosing wrong." She looked back to the pale brunette. Hazel quickly realised why she was so upset. "I don't care how miserable your human life is."

"My life is not miserable." Bella took several more steps without hesitation until she was beside Rosalie. "I mean, it's not perfect." She scoffed. "Nobody's life is perfect."

"Mine was," Rosalie declared. Hazel turned away from the door to the blonde. Her eyebrows raised, intrigued by the statement. "Absolutely perfect. There were things I still wanted. To be married with a nice house and a husband to kiss me when he came home. A family of my own."

Hazel found herself moving closer to the pair. Despite not having empathic powers like Jasper, the ghosts could feel Rosalie's pain, and Hazel, by extension, could as well. Hazel finally reached Rosalie. An unknown force pulled her hand to the vampire's shoulder, where a series of images flashed in her mind as Rosalie continued.

"Royce King was the most eligible bachelor in town." Her voice echoed as the image of Rosalie dulled up in white hung off the arm of a taller man in a grey suit as they walked through a park. "I barely knew him... but I was young. I was in love with the idea of love.

"On the last night of my life, I left a friend's house late." The image changed to a clear and eerie night, Rosalie walking a mostly empty street solo dressed in a brown coat, blonde hair in a white beret. "I wasn't far from home." It flicked to a group of drinking men, one of them being Royce King.

"Hey, Rose!" Hazel heard him call. Rosalie peered over at him. "Come over here!" He passed his friend his bottle before walking over to her. "Hey, come over here. We've been waiting for you." Royce pulled Rosalie over to the group, holding her close to him before smothering her with a kiss she struggled against.

"Royce! Royce! You're drunk." She managed to get out. The males only laughed around her. Royce ignored her comments and grabbed her face.

"Ah, isn't she lovely, John? I told you she was a looker." He got out before pressing a kiss to her face again. Rosalie struggled against him.

"It's hard to say with all those clothes on," the man spoke, looking Rosalie up and down.

Hazel gagged. She wanted to help, but her body wouldn't move. Hazel covered her ears and shut her eyes, praying for the nightmarish memory to stop. She could still hear Rosalie struggle. Her eyes screwed shut tighter, dread washing over her petrified body. She couldn't imagine what Rosalie felt at that moment. Fear, anguish, disgust. 

Finally, she was thrust back into the present, and her hand quickly fell from the vampire's shoulder. Her green eyes widened, gaze locked on Rosalie. Neither seemed to notice what happened with her, something she was semi-grateful for.

"They left me in the street, thinking I was dead," Rosalie murmured. Her gaze lowered. "Believe me, I wanted to be. Carlisle found me. He smelled all the blood. Thought he was helping me."

"I'm sorry," Bella spoke.

"I got my revenge on them," Rosalie told the pair, straightening up with a look of self-satisfaction. "One at a time. Saved Royce for last so he'd know I was coming." A sharp breath left her mouth, her gaze fell, yet her smile didn't waver. The blonde vampire paused, and Hazel felt the temptation to see what she remembered once more. "I was a little theatrical back then."

Her grin widened momentarily, then faltered and fell. Hazel and Bella exchanged a look. They wanted to speak up but were unsure about what to say. 

"Things got better after I found Emmett," Rosalie filled the void of silence once more. "But we'll always be this. Frozen. Never moving forward." She raised her golden eyes. "That's what I miss the most. Possibilities. Sitting on a front porch somewhere. Emmett, grey-haired by my side. Surrounded by our grandchildren. Their laughter."

"I understand that that's what you want," Bella spoke softly, her voice barely louder than a murmur in the wind. She let out a sharp breath. "There's nothing I'm ever going to want more than Edward."

"You're wrong again," Rosalie responded, turning her head to Bella with a defeated look on her face. Hazel's fingers twitched with the urge to hug her. "After you've been changed, there's one thing you'll want more. One thing the both of you will kill for," she glanced back to Hazel. "Blood."

Rosalie waited for a few more minutes, seeking a reaction from the pair; however, none came. She glanced away, then looked between Bella and Hazel before turning on her heel. Hazel watched Rosalie walk back to the door and step inside without casting a glance back. Hazel turned her head to Bella, who stood frozen in place, her brown eyes locked on the wooden decking. She moved closer, placing a hesitant hand on the shorter girl's shoulder.

"I had no idea," Bella spoke, her breath shaking.

"Neither did I," Hazel responded, looking up and past the small outside area to the trees. "She was really brave telling us that," Hazel murmured, more to herself than Bella. "I can't believe she went through that, though. God, men are just..." Hazel huffed.

"I can understand that," Bella hummed. Hazel frowned, glancing at the girl beside her. "I mean, I've never experienced things like that, but, y'know... just men."

"Like that time at the movies?" Hazel queried. Bella nodded in response. "Yeah, they're foul." Hazel couldn't help but think about Jasper. "I mean, not all men, but the ones that are... they suck."

"Yeah," Bella nodded again.

"I'm going to go check on Rosalie, alright? Just give me a shout if you need me," Hazel smiled before heading back inside.

"Hazel?"

"Yeah?" Hazel turned back as she held the door open.

"Rosalie's lucky to have you as her friend," Bella commented, a small smile tugging the corners of her mouth.

✰ AUTHOR'S NOTE 

hello lovelies, how are you? i hope you're doing well, have been eating and drinking water. i hope you've been trying your best at whatever you're doing (schoolwork, work, etc.), and I'm proud of you even if you haven't done what you think is your best. trying is all that matters :)

if you missed my announcement earlier, after this chapter I'm going to be taking a short break from wattpad to focus more on my hectic life before i get into a really bad state. thank you for understanding, and i hope to be back and well soon.

i hope you enjoyed the chapter. thank you for reading, and don't forget to vote, comment and have a good day/night. until next time, hons. bye! :)