𝐢.

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ

"HAZEL," A FAMILIAR softly-spoken voice whispered, tickling the slumbering girl's ear. "Hazel." It repeated. The girl in question groaned and rolled over on her stomach, burying her head into the lush pillow and blankets.

"I don't want to go to school," her muffled grumble came through. The girl heard hushed laughter beside her.

"There isn't any school today. It's break, and it's your birthday." Another soothing voice told the girl.

At the mention of her birthday, she was fully awake. Hazel's eyes shot open. She sat up so fast that Alice Cullen barely had time to dodge her head. She hurriedly untangled her limbs from the blankets, tripping on her to her clothes.

"What time is it?" Hazel asked, gazing out the large windows into the pitch black of night.

"Ten to three," Jasper responded. "You know you don't have to rush. We've been waiting for it all night."

Hazel shot him a face. "Don't say that, Jasper! That makes me feel really guilty." She rushed into the walk-in closet to change herself.

"My apologies," Jasper spoke back.

Hazel emerged two minutes later. Alice grabbed a brush and immediately got to workbrushing out the knots. Hazel squeezed her eyes shut but didn't say anything. Once her curls we're tamed as much as possible, Hazel beckoned them out the door.

"Let's go," she breathed, "I don't want to make them wait any longer."

Hazel and Alice descended the stairs arm in arm. Jasper trailed quickly behind. When they reached the bottom step, Hazel looked around at the smiling vampire family — minus Edward from what she could see. Emmett and Rosalie stood by the stairs while Esme and Carlisle appeared to be double-checking everything in the kitchen.

"Happy Birthday, Hazel!" They cheered at the girl. Hazel grinned at the girl, feeling herself tear up a little.

"Oh, no," Esme rushed over to the girl, engulfing her in a kind hug. "No crying on your birthday." Hazel chuckled, wiping away the tears.

"Thanks, guys, " Hazel sniffed. She gave each family member a hug.

"All good, Hazelnut!" Emmett grinned, ruffling the girl's curls.

"Everything set for you, all you need to do is tell us what we should do." Hazel nodded at the mother. "We'll have those cupcakes done in no time!"

"Hey, Hazelnut, " Emmett spoke up, "I know it's your birthday, but what's up with waking up at three in the morning to make cupcakes? It's a little odd."

Hazel shrugged, heading to the kitchen. "I guess it is, but I've always done it. I've always woken up to make food from quesadillas to pancakes. Every year on my birthday I was up at exactly three without fail." Hazel smiled at the boy. "It's like my body has its own alarm or something for my birthday."

"And why cupcakes?"

"Why not?" Hazel shrugged. "They're mini cupcakes that can be as different as you want them to be. Which is why I would like you guys to decorate some with icing and whatever."

Hazel placed on the spare apron Esme had put out and headed to the sink. Once she washed her hands, she began informing the family on what tasks she would like them to do. For the most part, each of them understood the task she gave them and completed it with ease. Other times, when Hazel stumbled over her words, she'd come over and repeat the instruction. They had the cupcakes done in no time at all. Hazel quickly washed up the dishes they needed for the icing, with the help of Rosalie drying, and set them out as the cupcakes baked.

"I think this is one of the best birthdays I've had," Hazel grinned, leaning against the counter. "Thanks, you guys."

"Aw," Emmett grinned, "you're welcome, Hazelnut." Per usual, Emmett swung his muscled arm over Hazel's shoulders, pulling her in. She smiled at him.

"I think they're done," Alice spoke up, moving her head from the oven. Hazel pried herself from Emmett and stood beside the petite vampire, looking at the baked treats as well.

"I think you're right." Hazel snatched the oven mitts from the counter, using them to get the tray from the oven. She placed them on to of the stove, turning back to the family with a smile. "We should get started on the icing while the cupcakes cool."

The seven quickly set to work making the icing. Alice and Jasper worked together, as did Carlisle and Esme. Rosalie, Emmett, and Hazel all invited working on their own. Each made a different color and, with Hazel's assistance, successfully put them into the piping bags.

"Do you have any preference as to what goes on the cakes?" Jasper asked, washing the ingredients from his hands.

"I don't mind," Hazel shrugged in reply, "make them you're own. But make sure there's nothing inappropriate" — her gaze flicked to Emmett for a moment — "because my brother will have the first pick."

"Ignoring that little look you gave me," Emmett began with a frown, "how about we turn this into a little competition, eh?" Hazel raised her eyebrow. "Obviously your brother is going to pick the one he thinks looks the best, right? So why not make them all worth picking?"

"Yes," Rosalie exclaimed with a grin, "Can we?"

"Sure," Hazel shrugged again, but with a smirk, "if you're prepared to lose. I'm warning you now, my cake decorating skills are second to none."

"Don't you fail art?" Alice furrowed her brows, her golden eyes flicking to the girl.

Hazel's smirk faltered as Emmett burst out laughing. "Art has nothing to do with cake decorating. They're completely different. But anyway... you can use anything you want. Just please make sure it will fit in the container."

"Okay, then," Emmett grinned, and Hazel could see the cocky going in his eye. "Are they cool yet so I can annihilate you?"

Hazel waltzed over, letting her finger graze the cool surface of one. She nodded.

"On your marks... Go!" Emmett shouted.

Being there already, Hazel grabbed her two desired cakes, racing back to the table to decorate. As soon as everyone had theirs, it broke out in all-out icing warfare. Icing was being thrown while people tried to decorate theirs with icing. Every once in a while, someone would get icing up their nose, down their shirt, in their hair or in their eye. Everyone except Alice and Rosalie had gone at it alone, with the exception of Jasper and Hazel occasionally helping each other out.

By the end, everyone's cupcakes were finished. Emmett only had one, as he'd put his elbow in one to protect the other. Besides that, everyone's cupcakes were still mainly in one piece. Each had put a unique design on theirs. Esme and Jasper had opted for the more elegant route. Alice and Carlisle did simple, yet beautiful cupcakes with sprinkles, flowers or small chocolate pieces. Rosalie's had come out like sheep. Emmett's single one, as much as Hazel could see, was a pig face.

"What's that?" Alice inquired pointing to Hazel's. "A blue monster? With a cookie? And a red monster?"

Hazel sighed, spinning them to face the group. "It's Cookie Monster and Elmo. They're from a kid's show called Sesame Street, and Anthony loves these two, so much. They're his favorite characters."

"Is that unfair?" Rosalie inquired.

"No," Hazel shrugged. "For all I know, Anthony's moved on to something else. He does that. Or he could decide today's the day he hates me." Hazel grabbed the container from where Esme sat it on the bench. "Now, come on. I need to get these out and about and into people's bellies."