𝐱𝐱𝐯.

| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ғɪᴠᴇ |

Hazel learned of Harry Clearwater's heart attack mere moments after she'd said farewell to her brother and mother. Christians text had been short, saying that he wasn't sure of anything else and he was going out with the pack. She was only updated once more, on her walk home from the store, that Harry was out hunting with some other men, Bella's father included. She'd arrived home and paced for an hour in her room, hoping to get better news.

She could feel it, though — the grim feeling in her bones that had only heightened after her encounter with Victor. She could sense the darkness that hung over everything. It already told her what she dreaded to hear.

Harry Clearwater was dead.

Alice and Jasper had gone back to visit the other Cullens for a couple of days, leaving Hazel alone. She didn't want to call them. She couldn't call them. It wasn't her business to share, anyhow.

She had texted her mother an incident had occurred but refused to specify precisely what it was. She wanted her mother's stay in the hospital to have as little stress as possible. After all, Hazel felt as if Sue Clearwater was the only one who could deliver the news. She and Hazel's mother were long friends, with the native woman helping the family settle in and helping Hazel make new friends. And, had it not been for Sue, Hazel was sure she would be up for adoption once more, and be separated from Anthony.

Before Hazel had dinner, she decided to head over to the Swan residence. She felt a need to check on Bella and, by extension, Charlie. That was if she could, of course.

And so, Hazel pulled on her sherpa trucker jacket and headed out the door. She locked the door and quickly headed down the footpath, tugging the coat tighter around her before the chilly air could set on her skin. Her feet carried her down the side of the road as she stared at the emerging stars. It was a surprisingly clear night.

When she heard an incoming car, Hazel jumped onto the concrete path. Her head lowered as her green eyes watched it drive past. As it retreated she realised the car was, in fact, an old truck. More specifically, Bella's old truck.

Hazel frowned, curious as to what the girl was doing driving home so late. She picked up her pace slightly, jogging the rest of the way. The girl couldn't help but feel as if something more may have happened. She wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

The sight that greeted her did, though.

"Jacob!" Hazel called out, running toward the boy that leant against the side of the truck. He turned his glower away from the house to the girl. "What the hell happened?"

"Bella threw herself off a cliff, " he told the girl. Hazel stared in horror at the boy, confused as to how he was still calm. "She's alive. You don't have to worry." It was then Hazel sensed the bitterness radiating off the boy as his eyes flicked to the house. "But I don't know if she's out of the danger zone, yet. Hazel, you should just go back home."

"No, " Hazel scoffed. "Why?" She glanced curiously at the house. Nothing seemed off.

"Just go!" He snapped. A soft growl came from his throat, suddenly reminding the girl of Paul. "It's been too long; I'm going in."

Hazel had no chance to say another word before Jacob marched up to the house, leaving her on the driveway. She sighed, knowing there was no way she could get through to the boy. Hazel turned on her heel and began to head back the way she came. As she stepped off the driveway onto the road again, she felt a tug in her stomach. She looked up, her gaze coming in contact with a car that almost blended into the darkness around it.

Oh, she thought, it's a car.

Hazel shrugged, ready to continue when she glanced back and frowned. It seemed too expensive to come from Forks.

Oh shit! Her eyes widened with realisation. It's Carlisle's car.

Hazel's head whipped back to the home. Without thinking, the girl found herself heading to the front door. She could hear the voices speaking inside. She lifted her hand to the doorknob, hesitating as her heart thrummed in her chest. She was about the grab the metal handle when it was twisted, and the door swung open viciously.

"Alice?" Hazel's eyes widened at the sight of her girlfriend. "What happened?"

"I can't explain everything now, " Alice replied, looking as equally shocked as Hazel moved so she could get out. "Bella and I have to go. We'll be back as soon as we can, okay? Jasper should be back home, go see him. He should be able to explain some to you."

"Alice!" An impatient Bella huffed. The brunette slipped past the couple and headed to the waiting Mercedes.

"Hazel, don't worry," Alice smiled, placing her hand on the girl's cheek. "I'll tell you everything when I get back." She gave Hazel a quick peck before scurrying to the black car.

"Okay." Hazel stared after the car as it pulled out of the curb and sped off down the street.

"You stink," Jacob told the girl as soon as he stepped out of the home.

Hazel lifted her arms. She rolled her eyes, stalking away from the house.

A/N: Bam. magic. I've had this ready for a while and u have no idea how long I've been waiting to share this with you. I missed u all, and it feels so good to be back and posting again.

comment, if you wish, and I'll see y'all next time! :)