𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢.

| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ |

Hazel sighed. Her eyes followed the marble-sized ball of blue light as it lazily weaved through her fingers. Her gaze drifted to Alice, who blankly stared ahead as she viewed another vision of Victoria. The light disappeared, and Hazel's hand fell. Jasper stepped into the room, and the human peered up at him before averting her gaze.

"Nothing new," Alice breathed once she returned. Jasper frowned slightly, and both vampires turned to look at Hazel. "Hazel? Do you want to talk now?"

"I just can't believe it," Hazel breathed out, her words soft and airy, filled with disbelief.

"What is it, love?" Alice queried, shuffling closer to the girl. Her cold arm wrapped around Hazel's hunched shoulders. "What's wrong?"

"Eighteen years," she murmured, "eighteen years and only yesterday was I told my mother's not actually dead. My mother's not even a human."

Alice and Jasper shared a look. One of them sorely wished they had Edward's ability at that moment.

"I knew something was different with me," she continued, "I mean, it's kinda obvious. But my mother is..." Hazel's words caught in her throat, the taste of disgust spreading over her tongue. "She never even had the audacity to tell me anything."

"Who is she, Hazel?" Alice prompted.

"Hecate," the demi-god murmured. "Greek goddess of magic, witchcraft and," she shuddered, "necromancy." Her expression of anger and disgust subsided, replaced by hurt confusion. Hazel turned to Alice. "Why do you think she never said anything? Do you -- do you think she doesn't love me? Does she..." Hazel trailed off once more as she turned to stare at the floor.

Alice pulled the girl into her chest, gently shushing her as she ran her cold hands through Hazel's hair. Hazel brought her hands around Alice's waist almost immediately. Jasper joined the girls on the ground, unsure of what to do.

"Don't worry about it, Love," Alice cooed, pressing a kiss to the to of Hazel's head. "You still have Anthony and your mum and us. We're here, and we love you, alright? Don't worry about Hecate."

"It's all good," Hazel sniffed, pulling away and rubbing the tears from her eyes. "I'm fine. It's not worth the tears."

Alice tugged on one of the girl's curls, to which Hazel raised an eyebrow at the petite vampire. 

"I love you," Alice spoke softly.

"I love you too," Hazel replied with a gentle laugh. She leant back onto Alice's shoulder, her green eyes flicking toward Jasper, who seemed content merely watching the pair. "I love you, as well, Jasper."

He didn't reply, only brushing her hair from her face. He kept his hand on her cheek with a smile.

"You should get down to Carlisle," Hazel hummed. She didn't want Jasper to leave so soon, however, she knew Carlisle was waiting for him.

"You should join me then," he smirked. Hazel grinned, accepting his hand when he offered it. "And, just so you're not surprised by the appearance, Bella's here as well."

"I-- since when?" Hazel queried as she followed Jasper out of the room, waving back to Alice.

"She's being treated by Carlisle for something," Emmett appeared from seemingly nowhere, grinning as he joined Jasper and Hazel down the stairs to the seating area. "I wonder what for."

"She probably tripped," Hazel shrugged, "good old clumsy Bella."

"Yeah," Emmett laughed.

They stepped off the last stair, walking towards the space Carlisle was wrapping a bandage around Bella's hand. Hazel grimaced at the sight of it.

"Trying to walk and chew gum at the same time again, Bella?" Emmett joked, taking a seat on the table behind Carlisle. The brunette let out a soft laugh with a shake of her head.

"I punched a werewolf in the face," she retorted with a smirk.

"Damn," Hazel muttered under her breath. She wondered what situation would have called for it and was amused by several possibilities.

"Badass," Emmett grinned. "You're going to be one tough little newborn." He commented.

"Tough enough to take you on," Bella shot back.

The moment was interrupted by Rosalie tossing down a magazine. Hazel whipped her head to the blonde, noticing the sour look on her face almost immediately, and frowned. Rosalie stalked past the six of them and stepped out of the room. Both Hazel and Bella looked over to Emmett in concern.

"Don't worry about it," he shook his head in an attempt to comfort the girls.

Bella and Hazel made eye contact. The vampires in the room began to speak about matters Hazel had no interest in at that moment. She let her hand slip from Jasper's. Bella silently beckoned Hazel to follow, and the girls made their way after Rosalie.

"You and Rosalie seem closer," Bella spoke up, "do you have an idea on what might be wrong?" Hazel shook her head in response. "Oh. I just hope I didn't offend her or anything."

"Yeah."

Hazel nodded, meekly following as Bella opened the door to the outside balcony. Rosalie made a small movement at the sound, letting the pair know she knew they were there. Hazel didn't wish to move too quickly, fearing Rosalie would get mad and tell them to leave her alone.

"Go blather to someone else about the joys of becoming a newborn," Rosalie spoke harshly, her distaste evident with each syllable.

Bella shifted from one leg. Hazel looked between them and took a step back. If this was between Bella and Rosalie, she did not wish to be caught in the middle. She was always there to step in if necessary for Bella.

"Okay," Bella spoke up after a moment. "Rosalie..." she stepped forward "...I don't understand what I did to make you hate me so much."

"Hate?" a hint of amusement at Bella's naivety was easily detected by Hazel's ears. The curly-haired girl frowned softly. It appeared Rosalie was holding back bitter laughter. "I don't hate you." She spun around to Bella. "I don't particularly like you, but..."

The air was thick between them. Hazel was unsure what to do and shifted anxiously from one foot to the other. Her green eyes darted from a confused Bella to Rosalie, who held an expression Hazel hadn't seen on her.

"Bella, I envy you," Rosalie announced.

AUTHOR'S NOTE 

Hello brilliant people, I hope you're doing well. I hope you're drinking your water. We've finally found out about Hazel's parent. This scene with Rose, btw, got too long, so I've split it into this chapter and the next chapter.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter otherwise, and I'll see you all next time. Bye! :)