𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢.

| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ |

For the next couple of hours, Jacob and Hazel -- who had gone to get a headband from Valentina to hold back her curls -- sat in mostly silence as they pulled apart the motorcycles, and Bella watched them work, occasionally making a comment or two. The only other noise was they radio they had playing in the background. At that moment it played a familiar tune that caused Hazel to smile as a memory came bubbling to the surface. It was one of her mother tellling her about that exact song.

Hazel's mother wasn't always deaf, her hearing loss worsening with age due to an accident she'd had when she was younger, so she would often recommend songs she could remember to her daughter.

Too caught up in the memory, Hazel's smile dropped when she'd noticed Bella had turned it off. "Hey!" She pouted, lifting her head to look at the brunette.

She silently threatened to throw a socket wrench at the girl. Bella quickly shot her an apologetic look. Hazel huffed, continuing with the bike. Her hands were dirtier than she thought, and she'd noticed that a few small curls had slipped out and sat against her forehead. The flannel she'd had on before was tied loosely around her waist, brushing against her exposed ankles due to the crouched position.

"That song's good," Jacob spoke up, and Hazel nodded in agreement. Her green eyes narrowed as she looked at Bella once more. "You don't like it?"

"Um, I don't really like... music anymore, kind of," Bella replied, taking a seat beside Jacob.

"Okay. No more music." Hazel internally groaned at his statement.

"So, I was thinking--" Bella began.

A horrible idea, really, Hazel couldn't help but think.

"--if we're going to do this every day, and hopefully we will, we have to, like, fit some homework in there," Bella told the boy. "I don't want Billy thinking that I'm a bad influence on you." Hazel snorted at the statement.

"You, influence me?" Jacob let out a low chuckle. "Please."

From the corner of her eye, Hazel saw Bella frown in confusion. "Are you... I'm older than you, so... that makes me the influencer, and you the influencee." Hazel's eyebrow quirked as she stretched her arms abover her head.

"No, no, no," the younger boy laughed. "My size and knowledge base actually makes me older than you, becuase of your general paleness and lack of know-how. You're not excluded from this either, Hazel." Jacob pointed his socket wrench at the girl who was quietly laughing. She looked up at him, her mouth open before she shot him a glare.

"Rude," she muttered.

"I convince both of you to build two-wheeled death machines with me," Bella pressed. "Don't you think that makes you kind of young and naive?"

"I mean, I didn't need much convincing myself, so..." Hazel mused, enticing a small laugh from the pale girl.

"My point exactly," she smiled.

Jacob sent a look of annoyance Hazel's way. "Okay, so where do we stand?"

Bella paused in thought for a moment before she began to answer. "I'm 35. You might be, like, 32." Bella laughed, then turned to Hazel, who now watched the pair with an amused expression. "You're probably the worst... like a 29."

"At least I'm young," Hazel shrugged, fine with her result. 

"Come on," Jacob spoke, and there was a knock at the entrance.

"Yo, Jake, you in there?" A foreign voice asked, the person opening the large door.

"No, it's okay," Jacob reassured Bella, who began to gather her things, "it's just my boys.

"Hey, Jake." Hazel looked up, noting that it was Embry and Quil who had entered. Seh only knew the pair because they lived on the Reserve as well. "Hazel, you're here to. Hey."

"When there's bikes, there's Hazel," the girl smiled, standing up from her crouched position to give them a small curtsey.

"Hey guys, this is Bella," Jacob introduced, standing up as well. "Bella, that's Quil and Embry."

"I'm Quil Ataera," the boy introduced, trying his best to sound smooth. Hazel had to cover her mouth with her elbow to stop the small laugh from spilling out.

"Don't seduce her just yet, Quil," Hazel joked, her voice muffled by her arm. The short-haired boy shot a dirty look her way.

"So, the bike building story's true," Quil spoke.

"Oh, yeah, yeah." Bella smiled humorously, "I taught him everything he knows." It was very clear to Hazel she felt awkward around the new faces.

"What about the part where you're his girlfriend?" Hazel's eyes widened and she let out a curt cackle into her arm at Quil's bluntness. There was a short moment of akward silence between them before Bella started once more.

"Uh..." she shook her head and shrugged, "we're friends, you know." Bella smiled awkwardly as Quil and Jacob stared each other down. 

"Ooh, burn!" Embry laughed, enticing one from Quil and Hazel.

"Actually, remember I said she's a girl and a friend," Jacob replied, trying his hardest to convince everyone. Hazel glanced over at him, shooting him a look of pity.

"Ebry, do you remember him making that distinction?" Quil teased.

"Nope," Embry replied.

"So, you guys have girlfriends." Bella spoke up once more. "That's awesome." Hazel's eyes flicked to Bella, then she turned away, letting out a cough to mask her laugh.

Jacob proudly laughed at the pair, however. "Yeah, right. Quil's actually taking his cousin to prom."

Quil rolled his eyes. "Yeah, that's still a riot. You want funny, Black? I'll give you funny." 

Without a moment's hesitation, Quil charged at the boy, pullling him into to a tackle. Hazel made a short noise of surprise before stepping out of the way. They pulled each other around, knocking over several objects. Embry joined the two girl's on the safer side.

"Jeez," Bella chuckled.

"Yeah, that hold's illegal!" Jacob grunted as he continued to shove Quil.

"I got five bucks on Quil," Embry spoke, grinning at the boys.

"You're on," replied the girls.

A/N: hey, how's it going! i probably would have had this out sooner, but i binged a bunch of tv yesterday. and then found out my phone charging port is completely broken, so my phone won't charge.

i was thinking yesterday, and i realised this book is going to be long bc i'll be doing new moon and eclipse in it, and i'm absolutely terrible at shortening things.

i hope you enjoyed the chapter, though. leave a comment or a question if you want, i try my best to respond to them all :)