𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢.

| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ |

"Hmph, I suppose now you don't smell as bad as before," Christian commented almost as soon as Hazel stepped onto the ground floor. He kept his nose turned up and scrunched it ever-so-slightly.

Hazel rolled her eyes at him, already annoyed after being forced to take four showers in a row. She stuck her tongue out in his direction in annoyance. She readjusted the towel on her head and padded over to the kitchen.

"You're lucky I'm your best friend, you know," Christian spoke up, his eyes finally looking over at Hazel. "Is that my shirt?"

"Yeah," Hazel looked down at the plain grey shirt, "Valentina doesn't have shirts that fit me and my clothes are in the wash. But also, Christian, you don't need to make comments about how lucky I am. I know how much you want to get out there, and I know you may not believe this, but they are extremely grateful for what you're doing. Just like me."

"Oh no, I believe it, doesn't mean I like it, though," Christian sniffed. He got up from the sofa, trailing her to the bar, where he took a seat. "It's good to know you're safe, Haze. At least I won't be out there worrying about you." He shot her a comforting smile. "So, while we wait, did you want to do anything? Sam's given me orders to keep you inside, so there goes probably 90% of the idea you had in mind."

"No, it's fine," Hazel smiled. "I understand. Would you like to play some Jenga? Or we could watch a movie. Do you have any popcorn?"

"Yep," Christian grinned, hopping off the bar stool. He strolled back to the living room, heading for the shelves beside the TV where he and Valentina kept their DVDs. "You know where it's kept. Any preference for a movie? Or are we picking one at random to watch?"

"Random's always more fun," Hazel replied, pulling a large bowl from one of the cupboards, then moving to another to grab the microwavable popcorn. "Surprise me, Chris," Hazel told him, then paused and looked over her shoulder at her best friend. "Just make sure it's not a horror. Not in the mood for one of those right now."

Chris sighed, clenching his fist in defeat. "You got it, boss," he replied, moving his hand away from the horror genre movies.

Hazel and Christian were barely even halfway through their second movie when Christian's face suddenly turned dark. His head turned to the back door that led outside, his mouth pulling into a snarl. Hazel finally turned to him when she heard the growl in his throat. Her eyebrows furrowed in concern, and she lightly touched his arm.

"Chris? What's the matter?" Her words were filled with panic as the thought that maybe Victoria had gotten through the wolves.

"Your big, stupid vampire friend," Christian spat through gritted teeth. "He crossed the line. Literally. He was on our side. He broke the treaty."

Hazel was confused. "Emmett?"

"Yeah, the one that has the body of a bear," Christian rolled his eyes.

"I'm sure he didn't mean it," Hazel spoke.

"Yeah, well now Paul's pissed off, and Victoria got away." Christian stood from the couch and stormed to the front door. "I'm going out to get every from Sam. You just stay here until I come back, or whoever from here." Hazel could only watch Christian march out the front door, slamming it behind him.

She waited for a minute or two before turning back to the television. She grabbed the remote from the coffee table, carefully pressing the play button. She decided the best thing to do was just to wait. After all, she still had no idea whether it was safe to leave Christian's house or not.

She was lucky, however, when Valentina arrived not long after Christian left. Her eyebrows knitted together in confusion at the sight of Hazel sitting on her couch alone, snacking on half a bowl of popcorn.

"Where's Chris?" Valentina queried.

"Out. Talking with Sam about some pack business." Hazel replied curtly, too focused on the movie. "I can't leave until they tell me I can."

"Oh," Valentina set down her things on the kitchen bench. "What are you watching?"

"Little Rascals," Hazel replied, sparing a glance at the other curly-haired girl. "It was my favourite movie when I was younger."

"Oh, mind if I join you, then?" Hazel shook her head, and Valentina hastily took the spot beside her where Christian was sitting.

The girls watched in silence. Hazel and Valentina were thoroughly enjoying the movie and didn't want to move even when they'd run out of popcorn. Seth stopped by at the beginning of the racing scene, and the two made room for him on the sofa to join. At first, he hesitated, but both girls almost forced him after he'd told them he'd never seen it. They told him they would restart it for him, especially since the only one who'd seen the start was Hazel, but he'd declined, telling them he was only there to see if Hazel was doing okay.

"I passed Jacob, and I could tell he was angry. Do you know what it's about?" Seth inquired once the credits appeared on the screen.

"No," Valentina shook her head.

"I... do, but I can't say," Hazel hung her head. "I'm afraid of what the others are going to say to me."

"It wasn't your fault, was it?" Seth's eyes widened.

"No! It was another thing, but I'm related to the problem," Hazel sighed. "It's complicated."

Hazel was about to say something else, but her phone began to buzz. She picked it up off the coffee table, staring at the screen as she read the message that just came through. She let out a sigh of relief.

"I've got to get going," Hazel smiled apologetically.

"Aw," Seth whined.

"Don't worry, Seth," Hazel ruffled the boy's hair, a sudden memory of her brother flashing in her mind. She smiled fondly. "I'll be back and then we can hang out some more. How about that?"

"Or you could just not go," Seth suggested.

Hazel let out a laugh. "No, no. I've got to. I'm sorry."

She said her farewells several times more before she was out of the door. Hazel smiled widely, waving her farewells to Valentina and Seth as she trudged up the dirt driveway to the entrance of the Reserve. She was just about at the entrance when her phone's ringtone sounded.

"Hazel? Are you alright?" It was Alice's voice. Hazel couldn't hide her smile.

"I'm alright. I'm heading over now," she replied. Hazel could hear Alice sigh with relief. "You better explain everything that happened, by the way. I love you." Saying the phrase brought Hazel some comfort.

Alice let out a laugh. "Of course. I love you, too." Hearing Alice say it back made her feel ten times better.

AUTHOR'S NOTE 

hey, I'm back with another update. still not sure how the updates are going to be set out for this just yet, so I'm sorry in advance because they're probably going to be all over the place.

this chapter is honestly a mess because I'm basically diving right back in blind after not touching it for so long and not having any movie to go off of. i can tell the quality has depleted, so you don't need to tell me. hopefully, next chapter will better because it should be a movie scene.

anyway, i will see you all next time. love you. don't forget to comment and vote and make sure you drink water. bye :)