𝐢𝐱.

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ

An additional two weeks had passed. That meant it had been two months since the people of Forks had seen the Cullens. However, it had only been a month since Hazel had begun to write her letters.

Hazel wrote about everything and nothing at the same time. She told them about her trips to the Reserve and the sleepover she had. She told them about how she was getting along and how schoolwork seemed to slowly be creeping up on her. She wrote about how her own family was missing them, even just a little. She wrote about how their absence left a sort of gap in Forks that couldn't fill and a hole in her heart that couldn't mend.

But each time she made sure she never told them how much she loved them.

Hazel was actually beginning to feel significantly better. She had allowed herself to call Bella. Most of the time the girl would never pick up, but on the rare occasions she did, Hazel would do most of the talking. Even if they were just normal check-ins, Hazel knew that it could help.

"She's still sitting there," Kassie sighed. Her gaze was locked on Bella Swan. "This is going to drive me fricking insane. She needs to get over it. Convince herself everything's fine and dandy without them."

"Kas, these things take time," Minnie told her girlfriend. "If you just suddenly up and left I'm sure I'd be like that."

"For two months?" Kassie all but yelled in disbelief. "If you were like that I'd come back here just to slap some sense into you."

"Hazel, you going to eat?" Christian poked the girl's arm. She blinked and turned her attention to him.

"I'm not feeling really hungry," she answered, shaking her head, "you can eat it if you want." She pushed her plate away and smiled at the boy. "It just one of those days, y'know?"

Christian stared at the girl for a moment longer. He was beyond concerned for her health and that she wasn't getting enough food, but he didn't know how to bring it up. He knew that if she did become hungry she wouldn't hesitate to stop by the Reservation and help herself to some of Valentina's cooking.

"I've got to get going, actually," she spoke up, gathering all her things. Kassie and Minie quietened their small argument as they watched her.  "Mr G asked me to help him set up for today."

"I've got him next, too," Kassie declared, you want me to come with?" She asked, already standing up. Hazel shrugged, having begun to walk off already. "Okay. Bye, Mins. Bye Christian."

Kassie quickly jogged up to Hazel. She let out a puff of air as they began to walk in step, shifting her bag strap slightly.

"We've never been alone like this," Hazel hummed, "just the two of us. I'm not quite sure how to act." She glanced at the girl beside her before turning her gaze back to the floor.

"Just like normal, Hazel!" Kassie couldn't help but laugh, the sound filling up the semi-deserted hallway. She tucked a lock of her hair behind her, still grinning. "We're friends, alright? You don't have to be so uncomfortable."

"I guess I'm just not used to it," Hazel sighed, letting some of the tension in her body release.

"Then how about we just get to know each other more while we walk. Just some quick questions, yeah?" Kassie suggested, turning to Hazel. The curly-haired girl nodded, the smile on her face growing. "Okay, cool. How about you tell me your favourite movie?"

"Uhh," Hazel furrowed her brows as she thought, "I don't really have a favourite, but I recently rewatched the Back to The Future trilogy. I'm kind of a sucker for time-travel movies and some sci-fi." She grinned at the memory of her huddled up on the couch with her younger brother. "And Doc's dog, Einstein? Adorable."

"Yes!" Kassie exclaimed. "I really love the second one. I haven't seen them in so long." She grinned widely. "My favourite movie is probably Jurassic Park. Can't beat some good Jeff Goldblum scenes."

"The fourth most scientifically accurate movie. Nice," She grinned at Kassie, blurting out one of the random facts she knew. Hazel laughed for the first time in what felt like ages. Her entire body felt so much lighter than what it had been just that morning. "I can't watch it though. I have the innocent and fearful mind of a child."

"Is that your way of saying Jurassic Park gives you nightmares?" Kassie queried through snorts of laughter. "That's actually adorable. You're like my mum."

"Excuse me, but a lot of people get nightmares from Jurassic Park," Hazel defended, playfully pushing Kassie's shoulder.

"Yeah, sure, old people and babies!" Kassie laughed again after the tease.

"I just came out here to have a good time, and honestly..." Hazel sighed and pouted.

Kassie laughed and stuck out her tongue at the other girl. "Stop whinging, scaredy-cat!" She snorted. Hazel shot her a glare, speeding up her pace. Kassie's eyes widened, and she began walking faster, too. "No! Hazel, it was just a joke! I was just teasing. I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" Hazel kept walking faster. "No! Don't leave me!"

"Then hurry up, slow-poke!" Hazel laughed loudly, now running away as Kassie called out behind her.