𝐱𝐥.

Hazel flicked the tassel on her golden graduation cap once more, watching it sway back and forth. She let out a sigh, turning her attention to Minnie, Christian, Kassie and Valentina, who were talking in a group only a few feet away from her. She didn't mind that she wasn't a part of the conversation, instead minding that she chose to stand and wait for Jasper and Alice to turn up instead of sitting down. Her legs ached and the bottom of her foot itched.

"Come on, Haze!" Christian called to the girl, beckoning her over. "I'm sure they'll be here soon."

"Yeah, after all, this will be our last talk before the big graduation," Minnie grinned, holding out her hand to the girl. "Come on, Hazel."

Hazel sighed, unable to bite back her grin. She stepped closer to the four, taking up the spot it seemed they'd reserved solely for her. Minnie immediately swung her arm over the girl's shoulder.

"It's so weird to think that I met you only eight years ago, but I feel like I've known you my whole life," Christian spoke, addressing Hazel with a grin.

"You two are as thick as thieves," Minnie smiled. "And Hazel and I are like support beams and a house, the beams go down, everything goes down," she laughed.

"Now you've got Kassie to hold up your house," Hazel smiled, nudging her best friend's side. Minnie smiled, turning to her girlfriend and locking their hands together. Hazel turned to Christian and Valentina. "And now you have someone to help around the house, not just on weekends," Hazel joked.

"I wish," Valentina snorted.

"One day, when we're all in our mid-twenties and we're all doing our own things, we're going to get a call," Minnie began. "One of us is going to call and tell us to go somewhere, and when we do, because we will, everything's going to fit back together again. We're going to be doing everything we want, only to drop it for each other."

"Truer words have never been spoken," Hazel spoke, feeling the beginnings of tears in her eyes. "Now look what you've done, I'm going to ruin the makeup my mum put on."

The other four let out collective sad noises, huddling in closer together. A moment of silence was shared between them, like some unspoken bond forming, before they all pulled back with large grins.

Hazel turned Christian's way but caught the gaze of familiar golden eyes. She grinned, then turned back to her friends, who already seemed to know.

"We'll find you after the ceremony, alright?" Minnie smiled, removing her hand from Hazel's shoulder. "See you later, future adult."

"Hasta luego, perdedora," Christian grinned.

"See you," Hazel spoke, turning and speed-walking her way over to Alice and Jasper. "I was wondering when you were going to show up," she teased, pressing a kiss to their cheeks without thinking about it.

"I don't think Esme would let us miss another graduation," Jasper chuckled. "Especially when it's yours and Bella's first."

"It's so weird to hear you say that," Hazel frowned, scrunching her nose lightly.

"How are you feeling about the big day?" Alice hummed, reaching up to tuck a stray curl behind Hazel's ear. "Nervous? Excited?"

"A little bit of everything," Hazel replied, letting out a nervous laugh. "It doesn't feel real. It hasn't hit me yet, I think, that this is my last day as a high schooler. After this, I'm technically an adult."