Chap. 12 - Human shenanigans

On their way, (Y/n) talked about some of Tripitaka's notes.
"Turns out it was Pigsy who stole it from you and ate it."
"I knew it!" Monkey punched the air a few times, which made her smile at how he was getting so worked up over such a little thing that happened years ago. "Why didn't he say anything?!"
"Apparently, he looked so hungry that he promised not to tell. They both knew you'd throw a fit."
"He was obviously acting! This pig is a walking stomach!"
"Dude, let it go."
He huffed, folding his arms. She chuckled.

"You know," she changed the subject. "I noticed that there was only defensive sutras in his notebook."
"Yeah, obviously."
"But, isn't it weird that there's nothing more...offensive?"
"(Y/n), we're talking about *Tripitaka*. He wouldn't harm or even bad-mouth anyone even if they insulted his mom."
"...I guess that makes sense."
"Plus, if anyone did insult his mom, I'd beat them up myself!"
She laughed.

In the distance, they saw a monastery nearby the bottom of a mountain. Since they've been walking for a while, they decided to stop here to rest. (Y/n) gasped and looked at Monkey.
"Do you think they'd accept to train me?"
"Heh, maybe."
Although he liked her enthusiasm, Monkey has been skeptical of that prospect ever since the first time she brought it. Monks were very strict, so the chances of them taking a woman under their wing would be slim. But if she could prove that she's Golden Cicada, they'd change their minds right away for sure.

She took off her japamala, putting it in her bag, and knocked on the large double doors while Monkey turned into his more human form. Soon after, the doors were slowly opened by a middle-aged monk. He was wearing a long coat hiding his robe.
"Good afternoon Sir," (Y/n) politely greeted, bowing. "we are two humble buddhist travelers in need of shelter to rest." she bowed.
The monk briefly looked back inside before looking at her.
"But of course, come come." he took a step to the side and gestured them to come in. "I'll take you to our Master."
As he led them to the main building, (Y/n) looked around, curious, as this was the first time she's entered a monastery other than the one that was her home. The architecture was similar but the clothing the monks around them were wearing were very different. She thought maybe it was a way to tell which monk comes from which monastery, so she didn't dwell on it. They were walking around with a quick pace, they must've been in a hurry to go inside where it's warm and cozy. But even once inside, they all went away in a hurry.
'Maybe they're late for class?' she wondered.

Finally, they stopped in front of a door. The monk knocked and opened it slightly to pop his head inside the room.
"Master, two buddhist travelers are asking for shelter." a voice responded to him. "Yes Master."
He closed the door and told them to wait a moment. After a short while a loud 'come in' came from the other side of the door. The monk opened it and gestured them to go ahead, they walked in but he himself didn't and instead closed the door behind them.
"Welcome."
The two companions looked ahead to see the head monk sitting at his office. They sat across from him, Monkey was cross-legged with a sloppy posture and (Y/n) was on her knees with her back straight. She took a long look at him, his robe looked more familiar than the others'.
"So you are travelers."
(Y/n) nodded.
"We come from very far away, and we wanted to rest and stack up on food. We don't have much to offer in exchange but we'd be happy to offer our services."
"If you got any demon problem, I'm the expert for the job." Monkey pointed at himself with his thumb.
"Demons? Oh my. We sure hope there isn't any lying about." he chuckled.

"May I ask..." she shifted in her seat, hesitant.  "can I attend your meditation classes?"
"Meditation classes?" he paused, confused for a moment. "Oh! Do you want to be a nun?"
"No, you see-"
"She's just interested in that stuff and wants to learn." Monkey cut her off. "Is that so wrong?"
"Of course not."
There was a moment of awkward silence, during which (Y/n) looked at Monkey. He spoke so sternly, did he not like the head monk? She nudged him from under the table and tilted her head when he glanced at her. He discreetly made little circles with his index as a way to say 'I'll explain later'.