Chap. 16 - Moon Cakes

[Yo! Shout out to @darkcrystal08 for drawing a jtsn fan-comic! I love it so much you can tell she put a lot of effort into it! Sending her nothing but love and support!]

After a very pleasant, very friendly not at all romantic ride on dragon's back, our two protagonists arrived back on the mountain (the weather being much clearer now), and got off Yusheng's back.
"You know, I was tempted to join you guys on your little adventure-"
"Why do you say that like we even asked?" Monkey frowned.
"But~ I'm like super busy with dragon stuff. So how about you give me my scale back and we'll all be on our merry way?"
(Y/n) took the scale out of her pocket.
"Toss it." Yusheng said, nodding upwards to tell her to go ahead.
She did just that, they caught it in their mouth and gobbled it whole. With a slight frown, she leaned towards Monkey and whispered:
"Is that a thing dragons do?"
"No at all. That was just weird."
She pursued her lips, trying not to chuckle, but she did snickered quietly. They said goodbye to each-other as Yusheng took off into the sky and flew to the horizon.
"Cool guy..." (Y/n) trailed off. "Gal?"
"Meh." Monkey just shrugged and started walking away.

They descended the mountain. Since they've already made the trip to the top, and they didn't have to put up with the young soldiers' shenanigans (though (Y/n) would say it was what made their charm), going back down was much faster and easier. They did stumble across the mountain ogre mother at some point and they weren't sure if they should hide or run away. But then her ogre child noticed them and waved. Relieved that they weren't as aggressive as before, they waved back as they walked passed the mother and child, still keeping a certain distance just to be safe. Though they left the mountain, the forest kept going, now it was more, for the lack of a better term, humanized. As in, it was clear humans would pass by often and the forest adapted to it: creating a little roads big enough to fit a carriage and the ground was flat if not a little rocky. Of course there was the occasional thieves and human-eating demons, but nothing too dangerous or alarming, our two protagonists got used to that. So today was like a nice stroll to them.
At some point they stopped to take a break by the river. While Monkey was dozing off in the shades of a tree, (Y/n) went to refill her bottle. Just as she crouched down and put it in the water, bright green suddenly flashed past her. She gasped and quickly backed away, falling on her bottom. Looking closely, she saw a jade green fish swimming up the river at an incredible speed. Within a second, it was out of sight. She frowned slightly, was it holding something?
"...Huh." she let out.
"What is it (Y/n)?" Monkey sat up, awoken almost immediately by her gasp.

"Nothing nothing." she said as she crouched back up and filled her bottle. "I just got startled by a fish demon passing by."
"A fish demon?"
"Well," she stood up once she was done. "I don't think jade-colored fish are a normal thing, right?"
"Jade...?" he mumbled before saying. "Yeah, I guess not. But they could've been a celestial being, don't insult them by calling them a demon."
"Oops." she said as she walked back under the tree and sat down beside him.
"I thought you'd be more panicked than that for disrespecting an immortal."
"Well you know, they can't hear me."
"Woaw~ (Y/n)!"
"What?" she smiled.
"You've changed." he slowly shook his head, yet he was smiling too. "I'm disappointed."
"You're the one to talk!" she gave him a friendly hit on the arm.
He cackled.

"You don't understand (Y/n)!" he said with a sillier voice. "You can't do that, it messes up the whole balance of our duo!"
"Oh is that why you're acting so stuck-up now?"
"...Did you just call yourself stuck-up?!"
"No I-" she frowned as her gaze began to wander, realizing what she said.
Monkey burst out laughing. (Y/n) pursued her lips, trying not to laugh too.
"Whatever man!" she stood up and started walking away.

"Oh come on~ we just got here! We can't leave just yet."
"No I'm *leaving* leaving!" she stopped and turned back to him.
"Oh yeah sure you are." he said as he laid back down, knowing she wasn't serious.
She chuckled and walked back to him.
"What if one day I was like 'I can't do this anymore' and I recite the sutra to pass all my powers to someone else. What would you do?"
Monkey looked up, thinking for a short moment.
"I'd probably be like 'cool thanks for...wasting months of my time and...making a mockery of this really important mission we have-' Also I'd be stuck with a baby, so that'd just be very uncool of you."
"What do you mean? I thought you liked kids."
"Babies and kids are two very different things (Y/n)." he raised his index. "Babies are gross and they're loud. And only *I* can be the loudest person in the room." he then pointed at himself with his thumb, sounding proud of himself.
She laughed.