Chap. 14 - Past Burdens; hello again

The next morning, as they ate breakfast, (Y/n) asked Ao Bing if he could teach her a bit about meditation before they part ways. Both Monkey and Nezha were offended and didn't miss expressing that. Nevertheless they both sat by one of the walls as her and Ao faced each-other. He summoned a standing bell along with a little mallet and began to rotate it around the outside rim of the bell, producing a sustained musical note. It resonated in her head and she felt her whole being vibrating, it was almost hypnotizing. She stared at it and Monkey and Nezha's eyes widen when they saw her (e/c) ones flickering with a cyan blue light. Finally, Ao hit the bell one single time and told her to close her eyes. She did. He told her what to do with a calm and collected voice, but his instruction didn't really differ from what Monkey had told her before.

"...Is it over yet?" she asked at some point.
"It can't be 'over' (Y/n), you just stop once you're ready."
She opened one of her eyes a little bit, saw that Ao had his closed, then turned to look and Monkey and Nezha. She pointed at her (e/c) eyes and tilted her head, they shook theirs. She groaned and let herself fall backwards on her back.
"How long have we been doing this?"
"Like ten minutes." Ao casually said.
She groaned again and placed her hands on her head.
"Can't you do some kind of chi flow technique that instantly makes me more powerful?"
"You can't rush those things (Y/n)." he slowly shook his head. "Practice makes perfect."
"Yeah well practice is slow!"
"You're just too impatient." Monkey said. "Even I had to work years and years to get my powers."
She just frowned in a pout.

"Your mind is too crowded." Ao stood up and walked up to her. "You need to learn how to focus."
"I am focusing though!"
"Not hard enough."
She glared at Monkey as he shrugged.
"Am I supposed to not think about anything?" she asked with a hint of frustration.
"That's impossible. Only think of what's important." Ao said.
"But what *is* important?"
"...I can't say for sure, it all depends on the person."
She groaned.
"Forget it." she mumbled as she stood up, then she smiled at him with furrowed eyebrows. "I'm sorry I bothered you, thank you so much for giving me a bit of your time."
"That's all right, I did hear you were-" he almost laughed but covered his mouth with his long sleeve. "a bad kid. Skipping class and such."
She frowned and glared at Monkey who cackled while slapping his knee. Nezha punched him in her honor and a cat fight started between them.

"(Y/n) are you sure you don't wanna ditch the monkey and come with us?" Nezha asked once they were all ready to go their separate ways.
She chuckled while Monkey sent him daggers.
"Nezha, we have othee missions to attend to in Heaven." Ao Bing said. "We're already running behind schedule."
"Right." she leaned closer to him and whispered. "Plus I don't wanna leave him alone, he'd be lost without me."
While they chuckled and said goodbye. Ao went up to Monkey and asked, also in a hushed tone:
"Are you sure you don't want me to talk to him?"
"Ha! The old man can interfere with my business when I'm on death row!" he exclaimed with a smug grin before walking away. "Come on (Y/n)!"

Our two protagonists weren't out of the mountains yet. Looking at the environment, (Y/n) was reminded that they were in a completely new part of the country, a wilder forest: there were no paths, the trees were taller, the fauna was different even the ground was more muddy. Meanwhile, Monkey was humming a tune and walking in a nonchalant manner.
"What are you singing?" she eventually asked.
"One of the hottest singles in Flower-Fruit Mountain."
"Ooo~. Back in my village, we're not really caught up on what's popular, especially music-wise."
"Well don't you worry," he pressed his finger on his temple, smiling widely. "I got a whole playlist in this big brain of mine!" he then raised his fist in the air. "Monkey King, King of Partying is back for another lesson!"
She laughed. What followed was a rather weird singing lesson, the songs were catchy but they were in his original monkey language and, according to him, she was butchering the words.
"I am literally just repeating what you're saying."
"Yeah and that's the problem!" he exclaimed, louder than usual.
She frowned, her eyes squinting in confusion. Monkey seemed really agitated by the way she spoke his native language, his face was all red and he couldn't bring himself to look her in the eyes. Did she accidentally say something offensive? When asked, he said no, so she was just even more confused. He added that teaching her how to speak monkey would take way too time. He still taught her the melodies and such.