Chap. 22 - Domestic life, just as adventurous (2)

(Y/n) tapped her heel on the ground as the students entered the class and passed by her. Eventually, Cheng Liu walked in, bandages covering his nose.
"That's a nasty injury you got there." she leaned back. "What happened, buddy?"
Though she had a neutral expression, her stare was daring him to tell the truth. He glared at her but then became flustered when he noticed everyone was staring at him.

"I..." his mind seemed to race for a moment before finding a proper excuse. "I saved a girl from a group of thugs. I fought them off, and now, I got a date tonight."
"Oh dude no way!" the other students cheered on him.
"That's right! They weren't even that tough."
"You got your nose broken though." (Y/n) rested her head on the palm of her hand.
"Y-Yeah! Because they were like, fi- ten of them!"
"Ten?" she blinked twice, smiling.
'You think I have the strength of ten people?! You must not fight very often.'
Hating the look on her face, Cheng Liu rushed passed her and addressed his classmates.
"Right. If I wasn't outnumbered, like I dunno, if there were *seven* of them instead. Then I would've gotten out of there without a single scratch!"

She rolled her eyes as the other students praised him. Hopefully, she got her point across and he'll leave her alone now. Just then, the teacher came in and she tried to clear her mind in order to focus. When class ended, she waited for all the students to leave before walking up to the teacher.
"Excuse me sir?"
"Yes?" he said as he gathered his papers, not looking at her.
"I..."
At first she wanted to say 'I hope you found your book', but she figured it'd be best to avoid the subject entirely.
"Yesterday, I was in the library, and I saw Manshu go into the forbidden section."
He paused in what he was doing and looked up at her.
"That is a serious accusation. Are you absolutely certain it was him?"
She blinked twice. He...actually believed her? Not really, but he was at least hearing her out. She was taken aback for a short moment before nodding.

"He said a teacher told him to bring him a book, but I'm certain it was a lie."
"Did you see which book he took?"
"N-No..."
"And why are you telling me this now?" he raised an eyebrow.
"I-I wanted to tell someone right away but then... " she glanced to the side. "I got in a pretty sticky situation. He got away and I had to go home."
His eyes narrowed. She sighed.
"The person, who I thought was the one friend I had in this school, wasn't as nice as I thought he was... I was too angry and heartbroken to do anything else. I went home after we had an...argument."
"Your friend..." his gaze wandered to Cheng Liu's seat. "I see." he looked back at his papers. "I will get to the bottom of this. Dismissed."
"...Thank you for your time."

She slightly bowed before walking away, a small frown on her face. Because of her lack of evidence, she had a feeling he still didn't believe her and probably won't do anything about it.
'Whatever,' she thought, shaking her head. 'it's his problem now.'
"I found my book."
"Excuse me?" she stopped at the doorway and turned around.
"I found it this morning. It would seem we have a rat problem in the school, I found it under the bookshelf, one of the corner munched off."
She pursued her lips, waiting for an apology, even though she would never expect one from him. She nodded.
"I'm glad you found your book sir."
"As I am."

She went back to her apartment complex, saying hello to the cow demon as she took the elevator (which became a habit). Once on her floor, she approached her apartment, but before she could even reach for the door, the one from the apartment next door burst open. A thick cloud of grey smoke came out, along with Monkey and Wenling, they both stepped out in a panic, coughing loudly and waving the smoke away.
"What in the world...? Monkey?" she frowned in confusion.
"Ah! (Y/n)! Uh~!" him and their neighbor sent each-other a quick glance. "Wait right here! Be right back!"
With a huff, he ran back inside. She looked at the door, then at Wenling, who just politely smiled.
"What is going on here? Can I help with anything?"
"N-no no, it's fine!" she said, stopping her from going in as well. "Um...Here's the thing-"
"I got 'em!"