Chap. 6 - Harem Mayhem (2)

"I just want to make it clear," (Y/n) said, seated on a stool as Monkey meticulously stylized her hair to make her look more masculine. "I will not pursue any of these women. Not if it's to break their hearts later on."
"Don't you worry about that." he smiled. "Just be yourself, giving them that famous (Y/n) charm will be enough." he kissed her cheek. "Trust me."
She furrowed her eyebrows, not believing him one bit. After getting their backstories together, our group of protagonists now in disguises made their way to the castle. Nian Zhen scratched her scalp through her wig.

"Stop that." Monkey, turned into a beautiful human woman, slapped her hand away. "I'm already allowing you to keep that stupid big coat on-"
"It's not stupid!" she glared at him.
"-Don't mess up your disguise even more."
"I immediately hate this."
"That's just what happens when you can't even change your hair color." Qiuyu said, now wearing a light armor, not looking away from his strand of now-brown hair that he was inspecting, thinking it looked weird.
She glared at him too.
"Don't worry Nian Zhen." (Y/n) smiled, also wearing a similar armor. "You'll do great, just remember to stick together."
Nezha gave them a thumb up, assuring that he'll keep an eye open for the Emperor, giving them a heads up for his arrival. Along with watching over whatever place they couldn't.

"And (Y/n)?" Monkey said after he helped Nian Zhen get on the Horse with her new dress.
"Mmh?"
"I won't get to say it as much so... Remember:" he pressed his fingertips on her mouth and made a kissing noise, since he couldn't kiss her with his makeup. "I love you."
She blushed, her heart skipping a beat. With the two 'ladies' on the Horse's back, the group were stopped in front of the gates by two soldiers. Qiuyu stepped up and gave them a fake message signed by a high ranked imperial official, given to them by Nezha.
"Lady Peishan and Lady Wanjie." he gestured towards Monkey then Nian Zhen. "Two late additions to the group."
The soldiers looked at Nian Zhen, suspicious, who quickly moved her hair to hide her lack of ears.
"Famous for their beauty, but mostly their minds." he added.
"Sure..." they leaned towards each-other and whispered. "Well it is the right signature, we can't just deny them entry."

They eventually let them in. After taking the Horse to the stables, they led them to a large lounging area inside, where all the ladies were silently chatting around a table with trays of food and tea on it. They stopped and turned over when they noticed the newcomers.
"Lady Peishan and Lady Wanjie." the soldier announced.
Nian Zhen was this close to bowing but once she noticed Monkey just walked up to the group, she quickly followed him.
"Ladies." he just nodded his head.
"Hi!" a young woman with short light brown hair stood up and went up to them. "It's so nice to meet you two! I'm Liu Lanzhi."
Hearing this name, Qiuyu's eyes widen. (Y/n) noticed.
"What's wrong?" she whispered.
"Nothin'." he lightly shook his head with a faint smile. "I knew someone with a similar name is all. Never thought I'd hear it again today."
"I see..."

"And I'm surprised." an older woman with beautiful long black hair and a mole above her lips leaned back in her seat with a raised eyebrow. "How many more people are coming in?"
"Just us." Monkey smiled as him and Nian Zhen took a seat next to each-other.
"Why did you arrive late?" another one asked in a gentle voice, tilting her head. "Did something happen?"
"Maybe they wanted to bring in the best for last." Monkey smiled.
"Or maybe you're just an afterthought." the older woman said.
(Y/n) frowned for a quick second.
'That was unnecessarily mean.'

The woman laughed.
"I'm just teasing, don't be so stuck up. We're all friends here."
"Oh I know, and I hope we all get along."
The ladies' gaze then shifted to (Y/n) and Qiuyu, who were still standing in the middle of the room. Neither of them seemed to feel awkward, unlike anyone would be if they were in their shoes. Both Monkey and Nian Zhen discreetly gave them a look that said 'Don't just stand there, say something!' Only now did (Y/n) panic.
"Ah!" she bowed, a hand on her chest, and cleared her throat to then speak in a deeper voice. "We are honored to protect you ladies, my name is Mei-hui!"
"I apologize for my partner's rudeness." Qiuyu bowed only slightly. "Seems like he was in awe by such a gorgeous sight. The name's Qiuyu, pleasure to serve ya."