Chap. 25 - Journey to Somewhere New, with you, always

When it was getting late, Monkey gave (Y/n) his personal room to sleep in.
"While I'm gone, no one is allowed in here." he explained as he opened the door for her. "So it might be a bit dusty but- Oh god dammit!" he exclaimed when he saw the birds, which came in through the windows and have made nests on his giant bed. "Get outta here! Shoo, shoo!" he came in and waved his staff around to make them go away.
Thankfully, since the room has been occupied, there were no dust. Monkey huffed as he removed the various sticks, hay, and leaves on his bed.
"Sorry about that, didn't know they kept doing that."
(Y/n) couldn't help but let out a sleepy chuckle.

"It's okay." she yawned. "Are you sure it's okay for me to take your room though? You haven't been there in centuries."
"It's fine~." he waved a hand. "Besides, I want your stay here to be as luxurious as possible!"
'There were birds everywhere a minute ago!' she chuckled again. "Thanks, I'll make the most of it."
"You have a good night okay?"
She nodded and walked passed him to set her things down. He stood in the doorway for a moment, enjoying the sight of having her in his room. After a moment, she looked back and tilted her head. The eye contact snapped him out of his thought.
"Good night Monkey."
"Right, 'night~!" he waved as he closed the door.
"Huh, strange." she mumbled to herself as she carefully took off the outfit given to her and neatly folding it. "Kind of expected him to ask if we could sleep together."
She became tense as she realized what she just said.
"N-not like that!" she argued with herself before rubbing her red face. "I spend so much time with him, I'm picking up his bad habit."

Truth was, Monkey had another reason to not sleep in his own bed tonight. As soon as he closed the door, he rushed down the hallways while changing, tossing away the shiny ornaments without much care. He entered a large room where a lot of his monkeys were in the middle of laying down. The nap room.
"It's sleep time!" he exclaimed with a big smile. "Lights out!"
While those closest to the lanterns blew the little flames out, Monkey jumped to be in the middle of the room as the monkeys all grouped together to get into one big cuddling mass, some even piled up on top of each-other. It was a commun thing, open to any monkey who didn't want to sleep alone. Monkey had stopped doing this once he became King and had his own room, so this brought him a nostalgic warmth. It was like being a kid again. Baby monkeys snuggled up to him and he held them in his arms, one of them laid on his forehead, chewing his crown in its sleep as its tail tickled his nose. Meanwhile, (Y/n) got into bed, which was really comfortable (despite being used as a nest), and she was about to go to sleep when she raised her head.
"...Why do I feel like I'm missing out on something?"
Having no answer, she shrugged and went to sleep.

.
The next morning, bit of a bad news: our two protagonists slept so well that when they finally woke up, the mainland was too far away.
"I mean, I can still see it." Monkey said as he watched the horizon with narrowed eyes.
"I can see it too, kind of," (Y/n) said as she watched this tiny dot of land. "but going back will take a long time."
"You're right, and I said we'd be there first thing in the morning, so we're already late."
Monkey thought for a moment, humming to himself as he walked in circle. (Y/n) and a crowd of monkeys watched in patient silence. Eventually, he smiled and snapped his fingers.
"Got it. You can create a shield bubble with no problem now, right?"
She nodded.
"Then here's what we'll do." he went up to her. "I'll launch you there."
"What?!"
"In your bubble, you won't get hurt, plus the sand will break your fall."

"Why not just... Turn into a big fish or something and we can go together?"
"'Cause this is the fastest way to go, I'll be quicker by myself- no offense."
"None taken."
"It'll still take a while for me to get there. Turning into a fish might make swimming easier, but I still don't know how to swim. Would've taken me an instant with my somersault cloud." he mumbled that part. "But at least you'd just have to wait for me. It'd only take me like..." his gaze wandered for a moment. "A couple of hours."
"Is this really okay?"
"The beach is safe don't worry." he looked towards the mainland again. "There's just one weirdo there, a weak harmless demon, you'll be fine. Don't try to talk to them though."
"A weirdo...? You can really tell all the way over here?"
"'Course I can, now!" he clapped his hands together and stretched his arms. "Get in a bubble."