3. Tallulah

I could feel each time his eyes landed on me, as I worked my way around the room. Many of the older guests had been friends with my grandmother, so conversation with them was easy, however the other guests were a nightmare, Megan's friends from school and work and add that to Megan's tight hold on Logan's arm, I could feel a headache mounting.
As dinner is announced, I watch Logan excuse himself, heading to the downstairs bathroom, invisible to everyone else, I follow slowly intrigued by him, even if he was Megan's, there was something different about him.
The hallway is silent but I can hear his voice the other side of the door, he's talking to someone. And I realise he must be on his phone. I wonder who called who, and why he's hiding in the bathroom to talk.
Suddenly there is silence and I step away quickly, not wanting to get caught, ducking into the study, until he passes, before following once I was sure he had rejoined Megan.

I felt his eyes again as I entered the room and moved around to take my seat, I had been placed, one setting down from opposite him and kept my head down as conversation moved around and over me.  But I kept feeling his eyes on me.
"I'm surprised your parents haven't made you get a job as you haven't gone to university" I see the slight sneer on Jennifer Downsbury's face, and her sharp voice cuts across others conversations and wonder why she is targeting me, I'm usually ignored but Jennifer seems to be looking for a fight, A quick look around and I notice her husband Dick was seated the other side of her, but was more interested in Mary's cleavage that his wife.
But Jennifer had forgotten I wasn't an easy pushover anymore,
"Like you did?" I answer with a smile and she hisses back. Jennifer had gone through school and university with Megan and Mary and had been one of the group involved in my snow accident years ago. When she had finished university, she had married Richard (Dick) Downsbury at her parents suggestion and now did nothing all day.
"Tallulah, that's enough, I think maybe you should leave us if you are going to attack our guests" Mother glared at me across the table as Megan held Jennifer's hand in support.

My eyes lock with his as I push back my chair, placing my napkin down.
"Thank you Mother, I believe that would be best" I say, breaking the eye contact and leaving the room.
Not glancing back even though I want to.