1. Logan

I sipped at the amber liquid Hunter had poured for me and let my head rest back. Feeling it burn a path down my throat. It was our monthly catch up dinner, something my sister had insisted on, after she had had her fourth child, unless we had a exceptional reason for not attending, I came, but I was feeling anything but relaxed.
"I thought you were ending it?" Max questions from his seat across from me, resuming our conversation. "Didn't you say only last week, she wasn't who you thought she was?"
I swirled the remaining drink before draining the glass. "I did, but her father called and said they were organising a surprise party for Megan for her promotion and they were looking forward to meeting me" I sighed, "I just agreed with what he said, shit Max, I couldn't even be bothered to say no"
Hunter laughed as he refilled my glass. "I don't get it, you need to get away from Megan or she'll boredom you into a relationship, don't settle mate, or you'll find your soulmate and not be free to tie her to you" I grinned a little at their words, Max and Hunter were both married to my twin sister Lily and had been as close as family all our lives. Their mother and ours being best friends, we all grew up together, until Lily started growing up and their feelings changed, then she was the only girl they saw, the only one they wanted and now were definitely close enough to comment on my relationship.
"He's right" Max nods, watching me but I know his mind is elsewhere, on my sister. "She should be your centre, everything you do is for her, every thought touches on her, all your worries are for her and when she's at your side you're invincible" he murmurs and I laugh at him.
"So I'm looking for a mythical creature, my very own unicorn?" I tease as Lily comes into the den to tell us dinner is ready.

I watch as the twins react to her presence, each wanting to hold her close, knowing this was what was holding me back, this is what I was waiting for. I wanted what they had, I wanted the sort of relationship that I'd grown up witnessing, my parents and their friends. I didn't mean I wanted a normal versus a poly relationship, menage was fine, 'normal' was fine, as long as it was... well, whatever the hell it was. There was no explanation I could think off, after all on paper Megan was perfect but if she wasn't with me I didn't care, in fact I had not yet met anyone who made me think I would find 'the one'.

"Uncle Logan, sit next to me" Gaia orders from her chair and I grin at my niece as I pull out the chair next to her. Leaning down to drop a kiss on her head before sitting.
She had grown into a clever, independent thinking girl and regularly sent Max and Hunter into protective daddy mode when she told them of her plans and exploits, and she was only 10, god help them when she was a teenager and ready to experiment with boys. They had already started to mumble about Swiss convent schools, but luckily Lily could soothe their frazzled nerves and my three younger nephews all seemed focussed on sports and just being kids.

I relaxed as I joined in the chatter round the table, till Gaia asked me about my plans for the weekend and I told her I was going to Surrey with Megan.
"I don't like her" Gaia told me bluntly, looking up at me with a tight expression on her face.
"Gaia, you can't say things like that" Lily interrupted but I waved her off.
"It's okay LIl. Why don't you like her?" I asked, genuinely wanting to hear her thoughts.
Gaia cast a quick glance at her mother, who nodded once before Gaia continued. "She's false, she will say one thing whilst meaning another, I mean..." I watched rapt as she thought about what she wanted to say. "Last time we saw you and she was there, it was like a barrier, she was acting pleased to see us but really she did want us there"
I raised my eyes to Lily but she was biting her lip and watching Gaia intently. "Gaia, did she say something to upset you?" Lily asked her but Gaia shook her head.
"Not really... but I was reading your magazine and was looking at the sculptures they are showing in the park. I said I would like to make things like that, and she said get a scar and become a loser and I could, then Dad came in and she sort of switched to all cheerful, but she shut the magazine and nearly threw it way" she paused again "It was weird and I didn't like it"

I nodded "Thank you sweetie for telling me, it just this weekend and then I don't think we will need to think of Megan again" I told her, not missing the pleased smile of Lily's face at my words.
That had pretty much sealed Megan's fate, long term would only work if my family loved them as much as I did.