eleven

you slap mike away, pulling your knees in towards your chest and backing up to the very edge of the mattress.

you're wearing the jumper he gave you, and you felt hot.

extremely hot.

"i'm sweating like a pig, get this off me." you gasp and mike immediately does so.

your mother however watches from afar, a muscle twitching in her jaw as she holds back from yelling at you for speaking to your 'parents' like that.

"you scared us." mike mumbles and you notice tears streaming down his face too. "i- thought- i thought you were..."

"dead." you mother finishes. you look up at her and wipe tears from your dirty face.

you feel like hell is pouring out of you in gallons but would much rather feel like this than be in close proximity to your mother.

"do you have any idea how dissapointed we are?" she cackles. "oh, and to think that we finally thought we had gotten ridden of you- of- of our burden."

"renee-" mike tried to silence her.

"never pull an antic like that again!" she yells, throwing the chair in your direction and you cower in mike's arms.

she storms up the stairs and slams the trapdoor shut in a fury.

"why the bloody hell is she angry at me?"

mike slaps you on the arm where it aches the most and you whine.

"don't swear."

then, you begin to cry.

you cry because you're back in this wretched place when you wished so much that you were at hogwarts- heck, even wish you were on snape's old sofa.

"i'm sorry, y/n. you make me so angry sometimes." mike mutters, pulling you closer.

despite wanting to lash out at mike, scratch at him with your nails, you succumb to the heavy limbs he wrapped around you and sob loudly in his chest.

you sob louder than you ever had before, crying in sorrow for the life you had just tasted in that other reality.

"y/n." mike mutters, stroking your back. "i love you very much."

you don't stop crying but you shake your head.

"i do." he insists. "i really do. sometimes when you make me angry i do things i regret. but, it doesn't mean i love you any less."

you sob louder.

you sob because you know he's wrong but there's a stupid child within you that wants so very much to believe that mike cares for you.

that he thinks of you like his bioligical daughter.

because if you can't have your mother and you don't know your real father.

you want mike.

he's the only one you have.

"thank you, mike." you mumble, looking up at him.

he brushes hair away from your forehead and plants a small kiss on it.

"i love you very much." he kisses you again. "i do all of this for you."

"i know." you sigh, trying to steady your breaths. "i'm sorry."

the guilt washes over you like a tsunami. how could you have enjoyed being in that other reality- enjoyed having left mike when he was the only one who would care for you?