fifty four

"hey, what-" you make your way over to her bed and sit on the end of it. "what happened?"

"i was so worried." she squeaks. "gemma was saying all sorts of things."

"oh." you frown, putting your sandwich on its plate and on the floor. "what exactly did she say, if you don't mind me asking?"

serena sniffs. "that you'd been mauled to death by the troll, that it had probably crushed you already-"

"i don't think trolls even maul people to death that's a bit much-" you say softly, more to yourself than anything.

she suddenly gets a surge of energy and grabs the nearest pillow, swinging it at you.

you grunt, the air knocking out of your lungs.

"you- what was that for?"

"where were you for god's sake? i was worried sick, y/n, i sat here and prayed!" serena yells, her eyes still red.

you blink at her. you had no idea she even cared about you that much.

you slip off of the bed and onto your feet, make your way over to her end and wrap your arms around her.

"i'm sorry." you say. "but, i really was perfectly safe i promise."

"next time," serena mumbles in your shirt. "tell me where your going so i'm not left to wonder if your dead."

"i'll try. the truth is that it has to do with my father, he's trying to teach me to be like him and the troll- he would have thought to be a learning experience. so i went after it."

"what happened? did you take it down?" she asks, pulling away to watch your face with wide green eyes.

"it was already down when i got there, min- mcgonagall, my father and quirrel were there."

"oh." serena's face drops. "well that's not so fun is it?"

you laugh, shaking your head. "no, not really. but, i suppose i'm not the troll fighting type."

"no, i think you are." she smiles up at you.

the dormitory door opens and you step back a step, to see that pansy has just walked in.

"hello." she smiles at you, widely. "so you're not dead?"

"i hoped not." daphne drawls, walking in behind her.

she's looking down at her manicure, not looking particularly worried about you- you're glad to see.

"would you miss me, daph?" you tease.

"no. but you seem to be my only hope during charms lessons." she flicks brown eyelashes at you. "can't complete my work without having a peek at yours."

"behave." you laugh, picking up your plate and sandwich and taking a seat at your own bed.

soon the room is full, daphne, yourself, pansy and serena sitting upon the four heavy beds that covered the space, draped in emerald green.

as you sit surrounded by the three other girls you were to spend the foreseeable few next years in a dormitory with- you come to the conclusion that it's really not bad at all.

at first, you remember being scared- mortified at having put into slytherin. but you found that people in this house, tended to stick to their own business- looking out for themselves and sticked to their plans, the way you did.

maybe, the sorting hat made the right decision.

you hope albus didn't give it too much of a hard time about it.

"gosh, i'm knackered. aren't you?" pansy gasps in between a yawn.

"no." the rest of you reply simultaneously.

"oh." she leans back, stretches her arms and legs out and grins sleepily. "i guess i can stay up for a few minutes more."

"sleep if you'd like, pansy. we won't be loud." serena reassures her.

"i might-" daphne smiles. "be loud. for good reason i'm sure not just to wake you up..."

"okay, i'm definitely not going to sleep." pansy laughs and the rest of you join in straight after.

"do you think we can get the boys in h-"

"no daphne." serena giggles. "we can't. gemma said the stairs will melt."

"apparently in the gryffindor common room, their stairs turn into slides- and you know that third year walking around with a brace on his jaw?"

daphne leans forward.

"don't tell me- no?" you ask.

"he broke it trying to get up the stairs when it transformed midway." she laughs.

serena's hand goes over her mouth and pansy smiles, too tired to laugh.

"let's not get them up here till we figure out how." you decide and daphne nods.

"let's just not." serena scoffs, shuffling backwards into her headboard and gathering her blankets.

"we won't actually." pansy says, but daphne gives her a look. "will we?"

the brunette simply smirks.

then, there's a knock at the door and it's some blonde girl with shiny brown eyes and a scattering of freckles that look astoundingly french, if that's even a thing.

"bed now, girls." she says, sharply. her eyes land on you and she extends a pointed finger.

"you- you're snape's kid?" she asks, still stood next to the door.

"i'm y/n, yeah." you answer.

"and who are you?" daphne asks.

"you're not the prefect, so why are you telling us to go to bed?" serena adds.

the girl ignores them.

"you look nothing like him, darling." she says. "that's a compliment, by the way."

you say nothing.

you're not actually sure what to say to that.

"you seem like a good girl." she assumes, smiling warmly enough for a slytherin upperclass woman. "if you ever need me, i'm adelaide pucey. my brother's in the year above you."

you nod.

you met adrian at one of the dinner time feasts. he's on the quidditch team and had heard the rumours, wanting to brief you slightly before you decided whether or not to even agree.

severus said he'd give you time, before going to madam hooch.

"i met him. he's nice." you say.

"yeah?" adelaide asks. "he said you were too."

"daphne-" you hear serena whisper as daphne sniggers to herself.

"i believe the word he said was- cute." adelaide finishes.

"we'll go to bed." you whine, laughing through the embarrassment. "we'll sleep now just please, adelaide, leave now."

"okay okay, i'm going. nox it quick." she says, referring to you all turning the lights off when you're ready.

"she's sweet." serena says.

you smile.

yeah, she was. the pucey's were 'sweet'.

for now at least.